Other word for Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

j sparacia

Other word for Port

Post by j sparacia »

I own a small winery in Florida and have made a "Port" like wine by using the solera system that I started 5 years ago. I would like to start bottling my first " Port" like wine this year. This wine would be tantamount to a "Crusted Port". I am looking for any and all suggestion as to what I can call this wine since I cannot use the word Port. I am looking for a name that is catchy and yet, will communicate the fact that it is an American version of a Port
Moses Botbol

Re: Other word for Port

Post by Moses Botbol »

Just use port with lower case p. What are you storing it in? What grapes and spirit are you using? How is it made?

Welcome to the forum. [cheers.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

That is something winemakers in California have been struggling with for a good while now. Perhaps there is some discussion here:
http://www.sweetandfortifiedwine.org/index.html

Angelica is an interesting possibility, but perhaps someone is already protecting that name. Also, it has certain suggestions as well such as grape type.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Come up with a proprietary name and don't use the term Port or port on the label. I don't believe that any new producer could use the term Port in the USA anymore, anyway (unless grandfathered in). Be creative!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Try Starboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Is the term "generoso" regulated? It's the old term for a sweet, fortified wine in Portugal. It used to be used for the fortified wines that became Port, before they made it to Vila Nova de Gaia, back in the days when the name Port could only be used for those wines that made it to Vila Nova.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Eric Ifune wrote:Is the term "generoso" regulated? It's the old term for a sweet, fortified wine in Portugal. It used to be used for the fortified wines that became Port, before they made it to Vila Nova de Gaia, back in the days when the name Port could only be used for those wines that made it to Vila Nova.
Assuming that's not regulated, that's actually a lovely sounding name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I think "generoso" is regulated in Portugal, but the Spanish use the term as well. So what are the odds those two agreed on a common definition for the EU? Another question: What are the odds the EU database will work and answer this question for you? I couldn't find "generoso" in there, but then again, my searches for "Port" and "Porto" came up empty. Tried again, tweaking the link, and came up with something:
http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/markets ... &termId=78
I also found these for Spain:
http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/markets ... &termId=41
http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/markets ... &termId=40

I don't know what the implications are of those on something made in the U.S.
j sparacia

Post by j sparacia »

Thank you very much for your responses. I will address each one of your comments and questions.
1st---Moses suggestion to use the word Port with a small, rather than a capitol p---- that`s OK as long as I do not use the word port as a proprietary name. It would have to be used in combination with other words. For example since my Winery is located near Tampa, we are considering using the name " Porto Du Tampa". I`d like to know what all of you think of that name
2nd---Eric, I have used that site, and just visited it again, at your suggestion, and discovered that I like, and am going to use ~Vintage Character" on the label. Thanks again
3rd---Roy as I stated it is difficult to use the word Port on the label. BATF is a very quirky agency; and they have to approve the labels. You are right, no Wineries can use the word Port unless grandfathered in. I am trying to be creative, and hoping to use all of your imaginations.
4th---Bradly, Starboard is used by Quady Winery for their Ports.
5th---Eric--- GENEROSO, I like it very much. I am going to let it marinate in my head, and see what happens. Very good suggestion. Thank you.
6th--- We use the Carlos & Noble varieties of the Muscadine grape family. We heat the wine up to over 80 degrees, ferment, stop fermentation with grape spirits, and place in used French, American, & Hungarian barrels. We use the barrels to create a 'Solara" system. Our Solara is now 5 years old.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

j sparacia wrote: 1st---Moses suggestion to use the word Port with a small, rather than a capitol p---- that`s OK as long as I do not use the word port as a proprietary name. It would have to be used in combination with other words. For example since my Winery is located near Tampa, we are considering using the name " Porto Du Tampa". I`d like to know what all of you think of that name.
I would do something like "Vinho Fortificato"
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:
j sparacia wrote: 1st---Moses suggestion to use the word Port with a small, rather than a capitol p---- that`s OK as long as I do not use the word port as a proprietary name. It would have to be used in combination with other words. For example since my Winery is located near Tampa, we are considering using the name " Porto Du Tampa". I`d like to know what all of you think of that name.
I would do something like "Vinho Fortificato"
Or, to tag onto Eric's suggestion, Vinho Generoso. Though I have seen that on bottles in Portugal, so it may already be "taken" if that makes sense.

I assume that "fortified" is still banned by the BATF for archaic reasons?
Glenn Elliott
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

"Portified" I don't know, I kinda like it.

Black Sheep Winery in Calaveras uses the term "Forte" for their wine
Angelica has been associated with muscat before, but most would tend to say it's a California wine from mission grapes.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:I assume that "fortified" is still banned by the BATF for archaic reasons?
I don't think the term "fortified" can be claimed or owned.
Daniel R.

Post by Daniel R. »

"Generoso" means fortified in Portuguese, and is used in legislation to indicate all fortified wines (Port, Madeira, Moscatel, etc). It is obviously generic in Portuguese and could not be registered on its own as a trademark to designate a fortified wine in Portugal. There are several trademarks in the US "generoso"; the ones in class 33 (wine) however are not currently registered. Gallo owned a trademark "generoso" but it was cancelled in 1983.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:I assume that "fortified" is still banned by the BATF for archaic reasons?
I don't think the term "fortified" can be claimed or owned.
My point is that, at least at one time, the word was banned from use on labels in the US. If it's still on the books, it's an archaic law leftover from Prohibition. If it isn't still banned, then "fortified wine" would be a perfectly acceptable term to use on any non-Portuguese... fortified wine.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

The issue with "fortified" is that it suggests the product is nutritious/healthy, and the TTB doesn't like that on labels for alcoholic products.
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

isn't it possible to just use "port style wine"? they call so many beers "Belgian style" and that's in most cases just a marketing trick.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Why not call it a name and then add...."a fortified wine made in the style of Port"?
Any Port in a storm!