SUPER BOWL 50 -

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

SUPER BOWL 50 -

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've watched NFL football since Super Bowl 2, as I missed the first one in 1966 when my family took us to see cousins in Toledo, Ohio.

So who do you like the Carolina Panthers who are 17-1 this season so far ... or 5 time MVP, Peyton Manning and his Denver Broncos? Why? What score?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: SUPER BOWL 50 -

Post by Glenn E. »

I'll be generous (to Denver) and say:

Carolina 31 - Denver 20

I'd like to see Peyton win a SB and then retire, but I just don't see it happening. And I think that score is pretty conservative. Realistically I think Carolina will hold Denver to fewer points than that, and that Denver won't be able to stop Carolina any more than Seattle or Arizona could. 38-6 isn't out of the question.
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

If that is an example of generosity, I shudder at the thought of what constitutes stinginess. :wink:

I'm predicting the Panther QB's given name, courtesy of the Denver front 7, will be changed to Fig.

PS He deserves a special award for the facial expression which most closely resembles that of his team logo.
(No racial slur is stated or implied.)
Last edited by Ray Barnes on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Depends if Denver can get their rushing game going. If so, it keeps Carolina's offense off the field and opens up some passing for Manning.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:I'll be generous (to Denver) and say:

Carolina 31 - Denver 20
I am close to Glenn with Carolina by 10 points. I am seeing sports lines putting Panthers at 4, good time to get a bet in before that spread grows.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Post by John M. »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:I'll be generous (to Denver) and say:

Carolina 31 - Denver 20
I am close to Glenn with Carolina by 10 points. I am seeing sports lines putting Panthers at 4, good time to get a bet in before that spread grows.
I agree, I am expecting 12-16 point Panther win. Best hope for Broncos is to score first and make Panthers feel the pressure, press and make a mistake or two. Curiously enough, right after the AFC championship the line was 5-6 but was reduced to 4 after heavy betting on the Broncos.

On a fun bet the Over/Under on Peyton saying "Omaha" is 27.5 .......I'll take the Over for a bottle of Warre's or SW LBV. Any takers???
Any Port in a storm!
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Speaking of wagering, there are odds for the colors of Gatorade bath being administered to the winning coach, with orange being the most popular as of yesterday. If I were a betting man, I would take blue. :wink:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Denver's best shots will be with defensive or special teams clutch plays. Offense to offense scoring match will be a score fest for Carolina. If Denver can break their momentum and hog the ball when they do have it; could make this a real game.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Denver's best shots will be with defensive or special teams clutch plays. Offense to offense scoring match will be a score fest for Carolina. If Denver can break their momentum and hog the ball when they do have it; could make this a real game.
Exactly, I just think they need to score first to put real pressure on.
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I think it will take two things for the Donkeys to still be in it by the 4th quarter.

First, the game rests on Denver's secondary; If it is porous, tackles poorly or just can't contain, the options broaden for Cam and it will be a long afternoon for orange world.

However, if the Panther's front line fails to hold off Denver's D-line crush, or is unable to provide strong running lanes for Newton and his backs, the Broncos will remain close if not win outright.

Carolina is the more rounded and talented team, but one can never count Peyton out. That being said, I've never rooted for Denver before; solely because they are a division rival of my team. Otherwise, the past few years they've had a strong team.

But how do you bet against The Newton?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steve Pollack

Re: SUPER BOWL 50

Post by Steve Pollack »

I am predicting an upset. In my mind, it comes down to turnovers, which Carolina has feasted on all year. Against the early season, turnover prone Peyton at the helm, Carolina would waltz to an easy victory. Since his recent return, Peyton has been much more conservative, and a very good game manager, while reducing turnovers significantly. I think he has realized his physical limitations, and adjusted to them. Denver has a great defense and with 2 weeks to prepare, Wade Phillips will have them ready to contain Cam and the Panthers. Denver wins 24-21. Go Eli's brother!!! [yahoo.gif]
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I'm taking Carolina, but would be very pleasantly disappointed with a Denver upset.

SB wine still being considered - leaning towards Cote Rotie. :winepour:

Coin flip odds:
Heads 1:1
Tails 4:3
Coin fails to flip 25:1
Coin lands on edge 400:1
Coin gets inextricably buried in turf 1,000:1
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Both defences playing well at half. Denver's is winning the game for them.

But I remain unconvinced. I still expect Carolina to click at some point and start scoring. The flip side is going about as I expected - Peyton just can't move against Carolina's defense.

On to the second half!
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I wish I could call that an entertaining game, but am having a tough time doing so.

But there is news so it appears about Beast Mode:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ust-retire
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Happy to be wrong on this one. Hopefully Peyton will retire - I doubt he'll get a better set of circumstances to go out on top, and I think this year showed that he's not his old self.
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I've got to say, I found that a very entertaining game. Miller, Ware and Keuchly (sp?) were phenomenally entertaining. While you could argue '85 Bears or '00 Ravens had better Ds than Denver today, I don't think there's been a better defensive Super Bowl ever. It wasn't two bad offenses, it was the best offense and a good offense and both were getting stuffed. A great show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

That was some defensive Tour de Force for Denver; very impressive. The defense won the game for Denver.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:I don't think there's been a better defensive Super Bowl ever.
Oh I dunno, Super Bowl XLVIII was a pretty impressive defensive showing as well. Denver had far and away the #1 offense in the league that year, and the Seahawks completely stuffed 'em. It probably doesn't stand out in people's minds, though, because the Seahawks offense also put on a show so it's hard for the defense to shine. But you might recall that a defensive player was MVP that year as well - Malcolm Smith. I personally thought that it should have been Chancellor, but I guess a pick-6 looks more impressive than a "mere" interception and completely altering the tone of the passing game with one hit.
Glenn Elliott
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

I also feel that Chancellor should have been the MVP two years ago.

With respect to yesterday's game, I believe that is an illustration of an ancient proverbial adage that pride goes before a fall.

For what it's worth, I think the rather lopsided game in some ways put a more favorable light on the Patriot's close loss in Denver.

For some reason, I found the crowd relatively muted throughout the game.
Last edited by Ray Barnes on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Glenn E. wrote:
Bradley Bogdan wrote:I don't think there's been a better defensive Super Bowl ever.
Oh I dunno, Super Bowl XLVIII was a pretty impressive defensive showing as well. Denver had far and away the #1 offense in the league that year, and the Seahawks completely stuffed 'em. It probably doesn't stand out in people's minds, though, because the Seahawks offense also put on a show so it's hard for the defense to shine. But you might recall that a defensive player was MVP that year as well - Malcolm Smith. I personally thought that it should have been Chancellor, but I guess a pick-6 looks more impressive than a "mere" interception and completely altering the tone of the passing game with one hit.
I'm talking about impressive defensive performances for both teams. While the Seahawks that year provided for an epic shutdown of a record setting offense, they weren't at all matched by the Denver D. Last night, the Denver D was epic, but so was the Carolina D, allowing the fewest yards ever in a Super Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad