Super Bowl Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Super Bowl Port

Post by John M. »

Opening anything for the Super Bowl? I have a 2009 Dows LBV I am likely to open (for the Virtual Tasting, too). If not, I'll get to it soon.
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Re: Super Bowl Port

Post by Moses Botbol »

Probably have something tomorrow night (going to friends' house for dinner), but on SB day I am going to more traditional party setting; beers and the like.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Will be either a Bulas 10YO or a Burmester 2011 LBV. Haven't tried either before.
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

In protest of the NFL and what it's done to our surrounding area with it's Stupid Bowl, Stupid Bowl City and the Stupid Bowl Experience, we will be gardening outside and playing with the chickens. For lunch I'm planning to make Francesinha sandwiches along with something cold to drink. I suppose I can put on a video tape of the 1984 game, perhaps the last time I cared about such events. However, never mind me, carry on!
Almost forgot, Lemon Meringue Pie with a 1976 Kopke Colheita will be for dessert.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I don't like football so I won't be watching. Pretty sure I'll open something but I've been so busy at work this week I haven't thought about what yet. Time I get cracking in sorting it. Thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Well, we had a Super Bowl port a night early. Went over friends' house for dinner and he had opened a 1970 Graham; excellent as usual. I had actually got him the case 4-5 years ago and he finally opened one. The funny part, I was thinking of bringing a '70 Grahams over their house last night. How crazy would that have been?
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Moses Botbol wrote:Well, we had a Super Bowl port a night early. Went over friends' house for dinner and he had opened a 1970 Graham; excellent as usual. I had actually got him the case 4-5 years ago and he finally opened one. The funny part, I was thinking of bringing a '70 Grahams over their house last night. How crazy would that have been?
That's when you know you are truly friends, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

A dschus

Post by A dschus »

John M. wrote:Opening anything for the Super Bowl? I have a 2009 Dows LBV I am likely to open (for the Virtual Tasting, too). If not, I'll get to it soon.
I opened the same bottle on Wednesday. Enjoying it for sure.
- Alex
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Moses Botbol wrote:Well, we had a Super Bowl port a night early. Went over friends' house for dinner and he had opened a 1970 Graham; excellent as usual. I had actually got him the case 4-5 years ago and he finally opened one. The funny part, I was thinking of bringing a '70 Grahams over their house last night. How crazy would that have been?
I think any time you open a 1970 Graham is a celebration of friendship beyond any Super Bowl. [cheers.gif] Speaking of crazy, I made the Francesinhas for lunch today. Great sauce made from ideas from many sources, as well as more meat than should be allowed on a sandwich. Our Cazuelas came in handy to hold everything including the fries. Now the only thing left to do is go to Porto and see how close I came. Enjoy your afternoon activities, whatever they may be. I need a nap. :good:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Edward J wrote: Speaking of crazy, I made the Francesinhas for lunch today. Great sauce made from ideas from many sources, as well as more meat than should be allowed on a sandwich. Our Cazuelas came in handy to hold everything including the fries. Now the only thing left to do is go to Porto and see how close I came. Enjoy your afternoon activities, whatever they may be. I need a nap. :good:
I am yet to see any local Portuguese restaurants offer Francesinhas on their menu. Last time I asked a restaurant about them, they said they were too much of a pain the a** to make. I guess that is an item you need to commit to if you are going offer it? I believe they are more of regional Porto specialty than something you'd see nation-wide in Portugal?