What can wine learn from whiskey?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

What can wine learn from whiskey?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: What can wine learn from whiskey?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Don't forget to add...diapers and feminine hygiene products. :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

So basically, the take away is that wine marketers should A) market more and B) talk way less about their product and make it about lifestyle or other non-wine things and tie them to the brand.

While I'll admit that's probably a great strategy for boosting sales to the general public, that really doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't really care that Veuve Cliquot Brut is associated with luxury and parties and such. It's a meh product and I don't buy it unless I have to as there are other Champagnes that deliver better performance for the price. The last thing Id want to see is more advertising that (insert wine here) is associated with the lifestyle I want. The lifestyle I want is quality products that taste good or do what their supposed to, and are indestructible. Bring on the nerdy analysis in my advertising! The again, I'm not the average consumer.

On a separate note, while I wouldn't mind seeing urine on TV, I'm guessing it doesn't contrast well with a white diaper. I'd also prefer someone not use blood or something similar in commercials. The natural body process doesn't offend me, but it's just something I wouldn't want to have pop on my screen randomly while eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

Wow! Thank the lord that we have an off-topic thread for this kind of stuff. I found this linked article absolutely FASCINATING! I also wonder exactly how many port producers are striving to increase their market share 20 fold. However, this is exactly the kind of marketing that a "port producers association" should be targeting, much the same way that those generic "milk" ads promote milk consumption. Then again, I also think about those recent ads for Jim Beam bourbon that feature Mila Kunis and I can't help thinking how off-putting those ads are. Maybe the Mila Kunis ads are successful in getting 20-30 somethings to embrace jim beam, but not me...and this is despite the fact that I think Mila Kunis is incredibly attractive. But she just seams like such an inappropriate choice for bourbon in my mind. If the port industry takes a lifestyle approach ad, hopefully it will be more in line with the johnny walker blue ads.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Too bad Orson Wells is dead. [foilhat.gif]
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Eric Ifune wrote:Too bad Orson Wells is dead. [foilhat.gif]
that applies regardless of the topic of conversation!