Perception changer if you are new to Port

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Perception changer if you are new to Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

If you are just beginning to appreciate Port, it is important to learn how to taste it.

It will improve your sense's ability to perceive, which makes Port and wine far more enjoyable.

Open to add a new dimension to your wine appreciation? Actually, anything you may drink. :scholar:

Begin now and seek out Jancis Robinson's book: HOW TO TASTE.

It is a game changer!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scheiny S

Re: Perception changer if you are new to Port

Post by Scheiny S »

good to know! i've never heard of her. according to the description on Amazon.com she also hosted a PBS show on wine tasting. neat!
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Scheiny S wrote:good to know! i've never heard of her. according to the description on Amazon.com she also hosted a PBS show on wine tasting. neat!
Jancis is an English critic and an MW. For where I am in Australia, I'd say that she is probably the best known international critic. Perhaps, most importantly, she has been know to enjoy a port!
A dschus

Post by A dschus »

Thanks, Roy! Just requested a copy from my local library.
- Alex
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Hasn't Janice been a guest on FTLOP before?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

i just got this from the library today and read half a page here and there during work. by the end of the day i was 30 pages in! it's really quick and easy to read! [maybe not so much after a few glasses of wine, i won't be able to experiment at all for a little while...]

i really like that she refers to her own snobbery a few times, and mocks the snobbery of the wine world, and tells the reader directly that it's ok to skip around in the book and read chapters out of order. she makes reading a book on wine tasting a lot less daunting than it seems it would be.

i really like that she mentions flavors other than sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and umami. that's really neat.

i'm looking forward to the rest of it!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have consumed wines with her on several occasions, mostly in the 1990s in Aspen, CO and attended seminars in FL with her. She has never come off as a wine snob! :snooty: And while our Port palates are often contrary to one another, I have HUGE respect for her palate and brilliance and writing style.

While I believe that Michael Broadbent and Robert Parker are both better known worldwide, she is certainly in the top 5.

Her book on wine tasting, is not only easy to approach for beginners to MW level, but it holds up to the test of time. A fantastic read and the reason why I occasionally recommend it on wine forums and elsewhere.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

She is the international critic and writer I most respect and enjoy reading, even more so than Broadbent the Elder who is a greatly enjoyable read as well. I'd recommend anything she's written as a good way to broaden your wine knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad