FTLOP 11th Anniversary Tasting, July 23-24, 2016, Sammamish

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

FTLOP 11th Anniversary Tasting, July 23-24, 2016, Sammamish

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm a little late getting this posted this year, in part due to the upcoming Madeira weekend. Hopefully there's still time to get tickets for people who want to travel to join us! When booking flights, please do note that the tasting is a week earlier than usual this year due to other conflicts. July 23-24 it is!

There will be two tastings again this year, one of which (probably Sunday) will be a 1966 retrospective. The other will be a more casual "bring a bottle to share" event. I'll be curating both lists, so please PM or email me your selections. For the more casual tasting, please select something from 1979 or earlier. It can be a VP or Colheita.

Roy will work on venues when he has time, but we've discussed having the 1966 retro at a restaurant and the casual tasting at the Holiday Inn as we've done in the past. We have not yet made that a firm decision, though, so please don't book a room there on that basis alone. (If you like the Holiday Inn anyway, then by all means stay there. Just don't choose it expecting one of the tastings to be held there... yet. ;))

Venue update! Roy has arranged for us to use the Holiday Inn Issaquah again this year. We have the rooms from noon through 8:00 pm both days. In order to give us time to set up, we'll probably start the tastings at 1:00 pm and then we'll probably finish up each day around 6:00 pm or 6:30 pm. Please let us know if you stay at the Holiday Inn, because having that information helps with future negotiations with the hotel.

Note for those trying to source bottles: several people are looking for bottles, especially for the 1966 retrospective, so please coordinate with me so that you don't accidentally buy a second bottle of something that someone else has already sourced. I try to keep the list updated, but usually only once a day. A lot of buying can happen in 24 hours!

Saturday, July 23 - bring a bottle to share
1. Roy
2. Glenn
3. Stewart
4. Andy
5. David
6. Brad
7. Sandy
8. Don
9. Lisa
10. Vic
11. Tom
12. Edgar
13. Amy - confirmed
14. Jeff - confirmed
15. Samara - confirmed

Sunday, July 24 - 1966 Retrospective
1. Roy - Dow
2. Glenn - Graham
3. Stewart - Sandeman
4. Andy - Offley
5. David - Fonseca
6. Brad - Croft
7. chef Steve - Noval Nacional (via Glenn)
8. Don - Taylor
9. Lisa - Gould Campbell
10. Vic - Quinta do Noval
11. Tom - Rebello Valente
12. Edgar - Warre
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Re: FTLOP 11th Anniversary Tasting, July 23-24, 2016, Sammamish

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

PM sent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Sorry,
Just realized I had a prior commitment.
Damn work! [foilhat.gif] Gotta travel on that Sunday.
Last edited by Eric Ifune on Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Ifune wrote:Sorry,
Just realized I had a prior commitment.
Damn work! [foilhat.gif]
Bah! I even managed to see your original post and sign you up before you could delete it. ;)
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

You're too quick! 8--)
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I am planning on being there.... both days! [yahoo.gif]
Sandy Becker

Post by Sandy Becker »

I'm in. Both days.
Don B.

Post by Don B. »

Count me in for both days. The only 1966 I have is the Graham's. Glenn, do you have something else you could bring. Sorry I do not have any others.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Don B. wrote:Count me in for both days. The only 1966 I have is the Graham's. Glenn, do you have something else you could bring. Sorry I do not have any others.
Unfortunately I don't. :( I thought I had a couple of '66s in my cellar, but when I went looking for them the only one I could find was the Graham.

I haven't checked winesearcher.com, but I imagine that there's a variety available and you can probably find something on there for a reasonable price. If you do find something, please check back with me before you buy just in case someone else has already bought and I just haven't had the chance to update the list yet.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

It has been suggested that we keep the "bring a bottle" bottles secret and have some fun with them. If you'd like to do that, do please still let me know what you're bringing so that I can make sure there are no duplicates, but I won't reveal your bottle in the list.

So... if you have something really fun and unique, we can do a London-style guessing game and see if we're any less rubbish than they are at identifying Ports. (You try to guess the vintage and producer, and get a point for each correct answer.)
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Glenn E. wrote:It has been suggested that we keep the "bring a bottle" bottles secret and have some fun with them. If you'd like to do that, do please still let me know what you're bringing so that I can make sure there are no duplicates, but I won't reveal your bottle in the list.

So... if you have something really fun and unique, we can do a London-style guessing game and see if we're any less rubbish than they are at identifying Ports. (You try to guess the vintage and producer, and get a point for each correct answer.)
If that's the case, you should probably take the named Ports off the first post :-P ;-).
-Brad

Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:It has been suggested that we keep the "bring a bottle" bottles secret and have some fun with them. If you'd like to do that, do please still let me know what you're bringing so that I can make sure there are no duplicates, but I won't reveal your bottle in the list.

If that's the case, you should probably take the named Ports off the first post :-P ;-).
Well... I figure they've already been named, so they're no longer secret anyway. ;)
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Bradley Bogdan wrote:

Well... I figure they've already been named, so they're no longer secret anyway. ;)
And you think any of us will remember by then? Probably should remove them so we all forget. LOL
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:And you think any of us will remember by then? Probably should remove them so we all forget. LOL
Done! :)
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Haha, no joke, I've already forgotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

I'm REALLY tempted to edit the first post again and put:

Stewart - Gallo Fairbanks Port & Taylor (New York) Port
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Stewart T. wrote:I'm REALLY tempted to edit the first post again and put:

Oh good I'm glad you are bringing a port just for you. More of the others for us. Lol
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lisa Stevens

Post by Lisa Stevens »

Vic and I are in!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

The major 66's are going quick. Of what's not already taken....I've got a 1966 Offley VP
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Stewart T. wrote:I'm REALLY tempted to edit the first post again and put:

Oh good I'm glad you are bringing a port just for you. More of the others for us. Lol
+1 LOL
Glenn Elliott