Autumn trip to Oporto & the Douro valley

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Thomas V

Re: Autumn trip to Oporto & the Douro valley

Post by Thomas V »

Only 2 weeks left before we leave for Portugal.

Another private visit came through today and we will be so lucky to get a tour and a tasting by Luisa Borges at Vieira de Sousa. If you didn't know they have a new 40 year old tawny that soon will hit the market. Perhaps we will be so lucky to try it as some of the first. Exciting.

Still very open to any suggestion, tips or recommendations not covered in the thread yet.

Have any of you send bottle you have purchased during a Porto trip by mail from Portugal instead of bringing it back on the air plane (Might not be sufficient baggage space) [beg.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thomas V wrote:... we will be so lucky to get a tour and a tasting by Luisa Borges at Vieira de Sousa.
Excellent!

I've always just hand carried back bottles, because shipping to the US isn't legally easy.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Thomas V wrote:... we will be so lucky to get a tour and a tasting by Luisa Borges at Vieira de Sousa.
Excellent!

I've always just hand carried back bottles, because shipping to the US isn't legally easy.
Ahh what now? You bring the bottles in your carry on luggage? How is that possible? You aren't allowed to bring anything containing liquids with more than 100 ml if I recall correctly.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thomas V wrote:Ahh what now? You bring the bottles in your carry on luggage? How is that possible? You aren't allowed to bring anything containing liquids with more than 100 ml if I recall correctly.
Perhaps I should have been more clear. I bring them back in my checked luggage. For my most recent trip, I used a VinGuard Valise.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Thomas V wrote:Ahh what now? You bring the bottles in your carry on luggage? How is that possible? You aren't allowed to bring anything containing liquids with more than 100 ml if I recall correctly.
Perhaps I should have been more clear. I bring them back in my checked luggage. For my most recent trip, I used a VinGuard Valise.
I see. That is what I figured.

I have myself ordered a couple of these today for transporting back the bottles I purchase in Porto : http://www.mesko.dk/produkter/vinemball ... irpaq.html
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:
I see. That is what I figured.

I have myself ordered a couple of these today for transporting back the bottles I purchase in Porto : http://www.mesko.dk/produkter/vinemball ... irpaq.html
I believe you can buy a 12-pack styrofoam and cardboard wine shipper at the Graham's Lodge. May be worth checking out. With 12 bottles it will be under the airline weight limit for check-in luggage. 8--)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote: I believe you can buy a 12-pack styrofoam and cardboard wine shipper at the Graham's Lodge. May be worth checking out. With 12 bottles it will be under the airline weight limit for check-in luggage. 8--)
We are allowed 23kg with Lufthansa, so the question now is how little clothes and other items can you bring to be able to bring more wine back home. Since Portugal is a member of the EU I can bring back home 20 litre of Port for consumption by me and members of my household. That is roughly 26 bottles. [beg.gif]
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

I just wanted say thanks to all the people that offered their input, thoughts, experiences and help in here. You have helped me create what I think will be an amazing trip for my friend and myself. This forum is awesome and I thoroughly enjoy it.

We leave for sunny Porto and Douro tomorrow yey!! [friends.gif] [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:I just wanted say thanks to all the people that offered their input, thoughts, experiences and help in here. You have helped me create what I think will be an amazing trip for my friend and myself. This forum is awesome and I thoroughly enjoy it.

We leave for sunny Porto and Douro tomorrow yey!! [friends.gif] [cheers.gif]
Have fun and let us know how your trip goes [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Have a great trip!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Lettuce know how you enjoy your adventures, Thomas! :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Hi Roy and you others.

I am writing what is soon becoming a novel on my trip. It is a working process and I will be posting it as soon as I am satisfied with the content and have sorted through my 500+ pictures to find the best ones to to accompany the article.

Stay tuned.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:Hi Roy and you others.

I am writing what is soon becoming a novel on my trip. It is a working process and I will be posting it as soon as I am satisfied with the content and have sorted through my 500+ pictures to find the best ones to to accompany the article.

Stay tuned.
Look forward to reading it.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

My travel log is now up.

I posted it in a different thread. It can be found here: http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... =3&t=39882