The next great subscriber's buying opPORTunity.

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike K.

Re: The next great subscriber's buying opPORTunity.

Post by Mike K. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Anybody else?

Speak now or forever hold your Port. :winebath:
Didn't hear from them this week. I sent you an email.
Thx!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Responded to it immediately and contacted the importer to fix this. On behalf of the importer, I am sorry this is taking place, this late in the game. I assure you this will be rectified, expeditiously.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Responded to it immediately and contacted the importer to fix this. On behalf of the importer, I am sorry this is taking place, this late in the game. I assure you this will be rectified, expeditiously.
No worries Roy. Thanks for giving the importer a push.
Cheers!
Mike
John M.

Post by John M. »

Eric Menchen wrote:I did hear back, but what I tried to order was sold out. I can't complain really.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
I heard back a few days ago via email. Wanted a time they could call. I said immediately (was at my computer at work)---did not hear. Then Friday gave them the window of anytime after noon--did not hear. Still, not worried.

Like Eric, what I tried to order (case of 19XX) is sold out (and I ordered the first day, very early so either they did not have much or gave larger orders priority)...but as long as I get the 19XX I cannot complain.
(XX edited by Roy as I asked name of producer and vintages to please not be mentioned)

So paint me optimistic, yet concerned by the secondary signs.
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

NOBODY received more than 2 CASES of the 19XX (oldest offered VP). That also goes for people who ordered 6 or even 10+ cases and there were far more of those than you'd believe. Well over 100 cases were ordere in total, even exceeding last year's Mourao offering, but only 25 cases existed of the 19XX and they were gone practically immediately. NONE were sold unless other Ports were included in their order. There just was not enough to go around for the exponential quantity of the oldest Port being offered.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

I sent a follow-up email on Wednesday, but haven't heard back, yet. Waiting patiently, but not concerned.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Gary, I am on it. Calling this minute!

No answer, but we did talk yesterday and he has been responsive to my emails. I left a distinctive message just now about your specific order. I can promise everyone, that this guys is very legit so there is zero to worry about. Sorry things are taking longer than seems normal, but it will all work out. :scholar:
John M.

Post by John M. »

My apologies about mentioning the years....and I'm really happy with my second choice. I had them rated very similarly.
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

John,

No harm, no foul! [cheers.gif]

Agreed that these were all in a fairly narrow quality bandwidth. I am happy to open them in anyone's company. :scholar:
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

Roy Hersh wrote:Gary, I am on it. Calling this minute!

No answer, but we did talk yesterday and he has been responsive to my emails. I left a distinctive message just now about your specific order. I can promise everyone, that this guys is very legit so there is zero to worry about. Sorry things are taking longer than seems normal, but it will all work out. :scholar:
Thanks Roy. I did not mean to cause you extra work. I am not worried at all.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Gary,

The importer sent me a copy of an email he sent to you on Sept. 23rd, which confirmed your order. He asked at that time that you please sit tight until the weather enables his ability to ship properly. Your payment will not be requested until he is ready to ship. Thanks for understanding and your patience, as he assured me it will be soon.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I was in touch again to find out about the weather and what is happening with orders ... just a few minutes ago, I did speak to the importer by phone.

The temps were in the low-to mid-70s this morning and currently 76 degrees. He believes that if the temps stay in this range, he will be in touch next week with everyone by phone, to get CC information and discuss shipping of their wines.

IF by chance you do NOT want your wines shipped yet, you must be very clear about that when he is next in touch with you. It might take a week or so for him to reach everyone who has placed orders as the list is long. Please know that I am nursing this along, almost on a daily basis now.

I have 200% confidence in this importer and literally zero worries. Any issues from here ... please send by individual email to me @ [email protected]

Thank you!

Roy

I <-------- :NotWorthy:
tbakerc

Post by tbakerc »

I live in the Eastern time zone, I submitted my order the opening day at 7 am EDT. I did not get my order and frankly at this time do not want it. If this is how this site works, then I do not want to be part of it either.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

tbakerc wrote:I live in the Eastern time zone, I submitted my order the opening day at 7 am EDT. I did not get my order and frankly at this time do not want it. If this is how this site works, then I do not want to be part of it either.
Since you've come out of the corner swinging why don't you nicely elaborate what happened so if there was a mistake it can hopefully be corrected. As you're post tells us nothing of the sorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

tbakerc wrote:I live in the Eastern time zone, I submitted my order the opening day at 7 am EDT. I did not get my order and frankly at this time do not want it. If this is how this site works, then I do not want to be part of it either.
Regardless if you want the order at this point in time or not, you should message Roy. I am sure he will sort out whatever happened to your order.
Roy Hersh wrote:I have 200% confidence in this importer and literally zero worries. Any issues from here ... please send by individual email to me @ [email protected]

Roy
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Considering that you registered in 2007 and have only posted twice since then, I'd say you really aren't part of the site anyway. You never even returned to your own thread the last time you posted.

But assuming you do happen to check back and see these replies, as Andy said please do give us additional details. This has been a much longer and different process for the buying opportunity than normal, so it's entirely possible that your order was simply misplaced or accidentally overlooked by the importer. Without further details, though, we cannot do anything to help you.

That said, the newsletter did make it clear that this opportunity is open for US residents only, and your location is listed as Canada. While many people jokingly refer to Canada as the 51st state, if you are truly in Canada then your order may have been discarded as invalid.
Glenn Elliott
tbakerc

Post by tbakerc »

Cheap shot, although my residency is Canada, I travel extensively and do spend considerable time in the US including California where I maintain a wine locker. I did provide my wine locker details on my order on the first day at 7 am EDT. If I remember correctly the requirement was a US address.

Without getting into who is a better member, perhaps my lack of response is indicative of the conversation.

Regardless, as I stated, given the order process or lack thereof I do not want the Port. While I originally wanted the Port I have since come to the conclusion that other sources are better for me at this time.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

tbakerc wrote:Cheap shot, although my residency is Canada, I travel extensively and do spend considerable time in the US including California where I maintain a wine locker. I did provide my wine locker details on my order on the first day at 7 am EDT. If I remember correctly the requirement was a US address.

Without getting into who is a better member, perhaps my lack of response is indicative of the conversation.

Regardless, as I stated, given the order process or lack thereof I do not want the Port. While I originally wanted the Port I have since come to the conclusion that other sources are better for me at this time.
So yet again, you've come here to complain but have not given any details as to what happened on your end. Please do so regardless if you want the Port anymore or not. Can't fix and/or address a possible issue without knowing what happened. Perhaps you'd like to email or message me instead, both links are under my name icon. Just click the tab.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

tbakerc wrote:Cheap shot, although my residency is Canada, I travel extensively and do spend considerable time in the US including California where I maintain a wine locker. I did provide my wine locker details on my order on the first day at 7 am EDT. If I remember correctly the requirement was a US address.
What, exactly, was a cheap shot? Your only other post prior to this thread was a question, which some people attempted to answer, yet you never returned to the thread.

I also provided you with additional information that might explain why your order wasn't received/processed/whatever.

Neither of those is a cheap shot, they're simply facts.
Now who's taking cheap shots?
Then why are you posting about it? If you don't want the Port and are content that you didn't get your order, then nothing you've posted in this thread serves any purpose.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

On Tues., Oct. 15th 2016, Roy wrote:
Any issues from here ... please send by individual email to me @ [email protected]

I am not quite sure what part of that sentence was not clear. I could have saved a lot of time and aggravation here.

As I have had guests from out of town and from PT here in Seattle, I knew my ability to check this Forum was going to be minimal (if at all, earlier this week) until today and therefore the request for a private email, which I would have been able to check, early and far more often on my cell phone.

Anyway, back to you, Mr. Baker. I do apologize that the rules of the game changed on you and others. I worked this puzzle for nearly 3 days, to try to figure out how to best share the 25 cases for those that ordered; maximizing what was in stock of the oldest vintage. Fortunately, the vast majority of those that were contacted and told they were not able to get a case of that Port ... were very understanding and modified their orders; willing to take one of the other vintages. I realize you did not want to do that and I understand your frustration.

To get to the heart of the matter, Mr. Baker, I am sorry that you felt the need to bail from the FTLOP community and that you prefer to delete your order. I think you would have really liked either of the other vintages. However, as per your comments in previous posts, I will relay your request directly to the importer, so you will not be hearing from him after this. As I saw this thread based on emails sent to me by 3 other forum participants that have posted in this specific thread, I immediately have come here to do my best; in full transparency.

I called the importer two minutes before beginning this post, to get an overall update on his progress to call people. Unfortunately he was not in and I left a voice mail. I am sure to hear back today or no later than tomorrow.

Anyway, as mentioned there were 25 cases of the oldest vintage available initially. There were a ton of other cases of it ordered. Some were from people that ordered six and ten cases and others that ordered less. The importer had dozens of orders just for the oldest Port and had no idea how to fill the orders. I spent many hours with him going over each and every order and I did the actual allocations in the fairest way possible. Yes, it changed from the original plan and you can blame me for that. There was no way to possibly take care of even 25% of the requests for the oldest vintage.

So I made sure that every single person who ordered that AND even one additional case, was able to get one case of the oldies. That took care of ALL multi-case orders that included the oldie and based on quantities, decided that those who ONLY ordered one single case ... the oldie ... would not receive their one case order. I told the importer to please offer either of the other two vintages instead, to all who fell into that category. A lot of people understood and were flexible and saw the value of Vintage Ports with 2 decades of age, or so, at a ridiculously low price ... was worthy of making the transition to one of the other vintages. They might not be happy about how Roy (me) decided to handle the allocations, but this was not in any way to be blamed on the importer. It was my decision, trying to be as fair as possible to as many subscribers as possible. I agree with you 100%, that it matters not that you live in Canada as long as you were able to legally receive a shipment here in the USA. A subscriber from Edmonton did exactly what you did, but bought 3 cases and they will be shipped to his storage facility in the mid-west USA.

Any further communications you would like to have, I ask you to please email me directly and I will be very happy to discuss this with you, even by phone if you'd like to provide me with your phone number and a good time to call, so I can make this 100% clear, in case this posting is not, and I will apologize again, for any slight you may feel.

That being said, I ask you to please refrain from continuing to post your grievance in this specific thread or the moderators will take action accordingly; for the sake of community harmony. You now have the means to contact me directly, again: [email protected]

My sincere regards,

Roy Hersh