Dumpy Bottle marked XX

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jan H

Dumpy Bottle marked XX

Post by Jan H »

HI all.
I have a sort of update & question
Late last yr my Father opened one of his Colheitas 1912 bottles, and it had gone off, so it got dumped
Then he opened another one, with the same result.
Dad passed away, at the ripe old age of 85, he was going a bit Senile, so sometimes asking him a question, got some funny answers.
Anyway, there are about 4 bottles left, and I do not know if they are worth opening or not.
Also, there are 5 or 6 sort of dumpy bottles, in the same rack, they look just like the Colheitas Bottle, as in same sort of glass, and painted label.
All I can see, are a big white double X marking. I remember the last time Dad opened one of the XX bottles, and it even then had a very sulphuric aftertaste.
Not having tried the XX before, I do not know, if the sulphuric aftertaste is the initial signs o going off, or if the XX is supposed to have a sulphuric aftertaste.
I have googled all over and not found any reference to a port marked XX, but as said, since the XX labeled bottles, resemble the Colheitas 1912, both in glass & white paint label, I am assuming it is also from Niepoort, but could well be wrong.
Anyone who could give any info, on the XX and its current value will be greatly appreciated, due to the probate & a grabby sister.
Thanks in Advance.
Jan
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Re: Dumpy Bottle marked XX

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Dear Jan from Randers [cheers.gif]
Do You have a picture of the bottle?

Are You sure it marks XX and not VV?

Greetings from a fellow Dane!
Allan
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jan
Pictures would be the most helpful.

Rare for an old Colheita to go off so badly it's not drinkable. Where have they been stored all these years?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jan H

Post by Jan H »

Thanks for the helpful responses .
Sorry, my memory playing up, I looked through some old photos. My Mistake ! No wonder I couldnt find anything about XX !
Yes it says : Porto VV niepoort .
They are stored in a rack in an unheated storeroom , in an apartment.
Thanks
Jan
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Jan

By chance I came across your post and saw that you had not had a reply to your last post.

Niepoort VV is a legendary wine. The bottles you own (the "pota" or dumpy bottles) were filled and marketed in the 1960s and early 1970s when the owner of Niepoort at the time wanted to create the best Tawny Port in the world. 50% of the wine in the bottle comes from the 1863 vintage – the same wine as recently sold by Niepoort in Hong Kong for €100,000 for a magnum. The rest of the blend is a selection of wines from 1900-1950 which when blended together gave what the company felt was a fabulous wine.

It is a fabulous wine. I have been lucky enough to taste it a few times and it is amazingly concentrated and intensely flavoured. It is extremely high in acidity, but I would never have described it as a sulphuric acid aftertaste. In fact, here's the tasting note I wrote last time I tried this in 2018.

"A bottle from the original release in the 1960s. Dark brown and incredibly intense in colour, 90% opaque. An amazing nose, full of scent. Incredibly intense on the nose ; multi-layered with treacle, pistachio paste and balsamic vinegar all taking turns to show up. The palate is eye-watering both in flavour and in acidic intensity. A sip brings a mass of flavours backed by searing acidity. There is nothing too subtle in the way that this arrives on the palate, but look carefully and you will find subtle variations of flavour and taste with brown sugar and black treacle all influencing the grapefruit oil bitter-sweetness. The finish is as you are led to expect — big, intense and lingering. This is a big, powerful wine that yet manages to be balanced and flavoursome. A fabulous port. 98/100."

Unless the bottles have been kept in the sun, I would be astonished if they had gone off. The same is true for the 1912 colheita.
Last edited by Al B. on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Al B. wrote:Niepoort VV is a legendary wine.
The wines in question in this thread are XX, not VV.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
The wines in question in this thread are XX, not VV.
See the post above, he was mistaken. Bottles were labeled Niepoort VV.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

D'oh! Sorry.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Yes. An amazing wine!!