1985 Fonseca Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Jasper A.

1985 Fonseca Vintage Port

Post by Jasper A. »

Opened this bottle after Christmas dinner, so I had a few wines before that.

Opening the bottle is already a great joy, great aromas coming your way. Decanted for about 7 hours.
The colour is still like it was bottled a year ago, nice deep purple and no aging sings.
On the nose it gives strong sent of dark forest fruit, like blackberries, raspberries accompanied with tobacco and chocolate. In the mouth nice round, the acidity is alright (can be better) and a little heat from the alcohol. The finish was really long and kept going.
I think this vintage port is not at its prime. Keep at least another 5 years.
94/100

I also opened a Dalva Golden White 1971. Most of the other dinner guest (starting port drinkers) liked the Dalva a bit more.
Last edited by Jasper A. on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Meehan

Re: 1985 Fonseca Vintage Port

Post by Mike Meehan »

Jasper A. wrote:I think this vintage port is not at its prime. Keep at least another 5 years.
Was that a typo? Did you not mean to say keep at least another 25 years? :D :D
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Mike Meehan wrote:
Jasper A. wrote:I think this vintage port is not at its prime. Keep at least another 5 years.
Was that a typo? Did you not mean to say keep at least another 25 years? :D :D
No typo :D I think the optimal drinking window will start in 5 years. I have no doubt it will go for another 25 years.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I'd bet it would be more like 5 more decades.

This is a beautiful and extremely young VP given its nearly 32 years of age. If I was under 40 and owned a handful of these Fonseca '85 bottles, I'd open one now and take careful notes and then not open another for a decade.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com