Porto Cordovero - Not one note...

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Porto Cordovero - Not one note...

Post by Moses Botbol »

Any thoughts or opinions on Porto Cordovero? They are a Kosher port producer (well not sure if all their products are or are not).

Did not see any tasting notes in the DB.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Porto Cordovero - Not one note...

Post by Roy Hersh »

Never heard of them, sorry.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

John M.

Post by John M. »

I've seen it at the Wine Library but rather pricy for a basic ruby ($20) and I see it elsewhere for far more.
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I saw both the basic ruby and this LBV on kosherwine.com. Quevedo is the only other Port on their site and it's sold out. I am doing a one case sampler of Israeli wines and will take one for the team on the Cordovero... There needs to be at least one tasting in the Notes, no? [shrug.gif]
John M.

Post by John M. »

Yes--I agree 100%. Thanks.
Any Port in a storm!
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

i just realised that Passover is a month away. i'd love to get a Kosher Port to bring to the Seder i attend every year. but just one bottle, i'll be the only one who cares, it'll be a novelty to anyone else. and it being Kosher won't be important to anyone, including me. i don't think PA carries any and i've never bought wine online. can i buy just one bottle? what's the best site to buy it from?
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Scheiny S wrote:i just realised that Passover is a month away. i'd love to get a Kosher Port to bring to the Seder i attend every year. but just one bottle, i'll be the only one who cares, it'll be a novelty to anyone else. and it being Kosher won't be important to anyone, including me. i don't think PA carries any and i've never bought wine online. can i buy just one bottle? what's the best site to buy it from?
Well, get some Kosher dry wines while at it. www.kosherwine.com is best source for kosher wine I have seen so far. Free shipping and discount on cases, with already solid prices.

Funny, I am in a couple of wine groups on Facebook and you ask what's their favorite Israeli or kosher wine and it's as silent as can be. Really odd if you ask me considering the number of producers there are in Israel.
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

and i found this post saying Taylor makes a kosher style, too.
Moses Botbol wrote:I know (from this forum) that Taylor makes a Kosher Port.
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... her#p41698
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Scheiny S wrote:i just realised that Passover is a month away. i'd love to get a Kosher Port to bring to the Seder i attend every year. but just one bottle, i'll be the only one who cares, it'll be a novelty to anyone else. and it being Kosher won't be important to anyone, including me. i don't think PA carries any and i've never bought wine online. can i buy just one bottle? what's the best site to buy it from?
Well, get some Kosher dry wines while at it. http://www.kosherwine.com is best source for kosher wine I have seen so far. Free shipping and discount on cases, with already solid prices.
haha, the rule at this Seder is Manischewitz only. i can't explain it but i don't argue, except for bringing a bottle of kosher Port if i can find one. even though it's not a kosher event i figure the Port being kosher will be an acceptable excuse to bring it for the novelty of it.
Moses Botbol wrote:Funny, I am in a couple of wine groups on Facebook and you ask what's their favorite Israeli or kosher wine and it's as silent as can be. Really odd if you ask me considering the number of producers there are in Israel.
i didn't know Israel makes a lot of wine. have you checked ratings for any of them? for instance, i know PA makes lots of wines but i'm pretty sure they're all rated pretty badly. [i know i haven't had one i felt was drinkable.]
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Scheiny S wrote:i didn't know Israel makes a lot of wine. have you checked ratings for any of them? for instance, i know PA makes lots of wines but i'm pretty sure they're all rated pretty badly. [i know i haven't had one i felt was drinkable.]
There are 90+ WS rated wines from Israel.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

There's definitely some decent wines from Israel, just as with many smaller winemaking countries that drink more than they make, they tend to not get exported much. It's much the same with places like Switzerland and England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

There are two Kosher Ports, that I am aware of. One was made by Fonseca and the other is produced by Quevedo. Now that you have this info, I'll let Ms. Scheiny connect the dots.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

What does the small print at the bottom of the label say about the producer of the Cordovero?
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

A friend of mine just got a bottle of this, labeled Quinta da Trovisca, which I've never heard of but has a website. It seems Porto Cordovero is owned by TFP.
http://www.trovisca.com/

The listing I found on kosherwine.com listed it at $22, on sale from $26, which I believe is around the price she paid for Quevedo Ruby, kosher, half a year ago. Expensive for a standard Ruby, but I think kosher wines tend to be a little more expensive in general.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Scheiny S wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:09 pm A friend of mine just got a bottle of this, labeled Quinta da Trovisca, which I've never heard of but has a website. It seems Porto Cordovero is owned by TFP.
http://www.trovisca.com/

The listing I found on kosherwine.com listed it at $22, on sale from $26, which I believe is around the price she paid for Quevedo Ruby, kosher, half a year ago. Expensive for a standard Ruby, but I think kosher wines tend to be a little more expensive in general.
It appears that Quinta da Trovisca is owned by the Quevedo family. It will be interesting to see how that Quinta's Ports evolve over time.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

That's interesting! I guess it makes sense given that Quevedo also makes a kosher standard Ruby. Where did you find the connection?
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Scheiny S wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:15 pm That's interesting! I guess it makes sense given that Quevedo also makes a kosher standard Ruby. Where did you find the connection?
I went to the website and was reading the "About Us" section.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes