2015 Vintage Declarations

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Thomas V

Re: 2015 Vintage Declarations

Post by Thomas V »

Also added

Barao de Vilar
Quinta do Infantado
Palmer
Quinta da Romaneira
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Thomas V wrote:
Jasper A. wrote:You can add Kopke Sao Luiz to the list
Good stuff Jasper. I have added them as well.

Cheers
Some extra info, Kopke released just 3000 bottles. A small number for them.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Added Quinta Santa Eufemia
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tom A. wrote:
I'm guessing that April 23rd will see a bicentenary Fonseca declared - but will the other TFP brands declare? - the lack of build up and 'buzz' over a declaration has made a split or twin declaration look increasingly likely..

First of all, the wholesale change from having their establishment date moved from 1822 to 1815 confused me. I get it that the Fladgate Partnership has found new evidence that puts them as the same age as Cockburn's apparently. I remember when Adrian found a historian (in 2007) that gave "proof" that Croft was actually established in 1588 and therefore it should now be considered, (again this was exactly a decade ago) "the first and oldest Port wine shipper" as it was deemed 50 years prior to the birth of Kopke (1638). It later change was akin (for true Port geeks who grew up revering the date 1638, to someone coming forth and saying they had proof that Jesus was actually born 2025 years ago and the whole world had to change their calendars. :evil:

But here is what really is odd: you were spot on in your above prognostication that Fonseca would declare the 2015 as a bicentenary vintage. Brilliant and with foresight and I applaud your awareness. :NotWorthy: No, I am not being sarcastic!! [friends.gif]

However, UNlike Cockburn's, which declared using their best juice; to make a point, TFP has commemorated the 200th anniversary of the founding of the Fonseca company, (in reality, it was the purchasing of Fonseca from its prior owner in what I always believed was 1822, now said to be 1815) by using their 2nd label and therefore, "lesser quality" marque, Fonseca-Guimaraens. I just can't wrap my brain around why they would do this, beyond making a strong statement how they feel about 2015. I am long over the 2015/2016 bit, just focused on the why, when it comes to using FG instead of a special one off declaration, similar to Cockburn's in 2015; with their best quality product to immortalize such a special moment in the company's history. [shrug.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

Who will be making a 2016 topic? I don't have the time to update te list, so it won't be me.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Who will be making a 2016 topic? I don't have the time to update te list, so it won't be me.
There being no obvious need for duplication, and the benefit of AHB's diligent presentation and links; why not reference this for data:

http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12363

..and launch a thread on this site for discussion?
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Not everyone inhere frequents that site?

I don't mind make a 2016 thread, so I will go ahead.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Not everyone inhere frequents that site?
True, there's a broadly transatlantic gulf - but the data stays the same.

Alternate opinions have their place - but is there any point in mirroring databases?