BREAKING NEWS: PORTO 2017

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: BREAKING NEWS: PORTO 2017

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:Another missive from the front line..

The picking of wine grapes is fully underway and the Port harvest is expected to start next week - exceptionally early.

- Has there ever been a vintage in the past when port grapes were being harvested in August?
Not that I can recall off the top of my head.

Quinta do Tedo posted a pic yesterday. They are picking their Port grapes already from their oldest vines. :shock:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Re: BREAKING NEWS: PORTO 2017

Post by Tom Archer »

It looks as though this vintage is running a fortnight to three weeks ahead of normal. I have found a reference to the harvest once starting on Sept 1st (2003) but Andy's report from Tedo is pulling that record back by a full week.

Although the Atlantic weather systems are still locked into their summer pattern, with the genesis of hurricanes still well to the south of Cape Verde; the local forecast is less settled, with a diet of sunshine and showers forecast for the next ten days. As the growers don't need a declaration from this vintage, I'm guessing their focus will be on playing safe. With the weather looking uncertain, I expect they'll pile headlong into this harvest and get the grapes in as soon as they are ripe enough.