Totally Eclipsed by the Wine: TN: 2015 Nigl Grüner Veltliner Eiswein (Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal)

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Trombley

Totally Eclipsed by the Wine: TN: 2015 Nigl Grüner Veltliner Eiswein (Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal)

Post by John Trombley »

2015 Nigl Grüner Veltliner Eiswein (Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal) 87/100 rpp

Labeled 'Suß'; also 'Niederoesterreich', not 'Kremstal', $40/375 ml, Jerardi's Little Store. Theise/Skurnik.

One of the two 'eclipse' wines for August 21, 2017, in Athens, TN, at totality, the other being the Extra Brut N.V. Varnier-Fanniere Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée "Jean Fannière Origine", superb current drinking but not very 'Extra Brut', the post-Eclipse 'Salute to the New Sun (thanks to Gene Wolfe).

Before the eclipse we chilled ourselves with the Eiswein. It was a a very light bronze in color; honey, apple flower, tobacco, hint of lime; simple but sweet on the entry with slight hints of GV veggies and lime; good, crisp acid balance; a little lime on the otherwise long but neutral finish. Drink now through 2025. Would score up higher as a wine match for rare astronomical events if you're writing a book on the same; actually, the mixed crowd loved it and I left the dregs for the hostess, who was volubly appreciative.

However, while rushing around 20 minutes prior to eclipse to fill glasses, I caught my toe on the edge of a brick patio and took a nose-dive onto it, splitting a lip, and generally scraping, bruising, and wrenching myself, plus destroying a pair of eyeglasses. Still enjoyed the heck out of the eclipse while peering past the edge of a bloody rag! Be warned, you who are adventuresome with your wine parings!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Totally Eclipsed by the Wine: TN: 2015 Nigl Grüner Veltliner Eiswein (Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal)

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hope you're doing better now after that fall.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Re: Totally Eclipsed by the Wine: TN: 2015 Nigl Grüner Veltliner Eiswein (Austria, Niederösterreich, Kremstal)

Post by John Trombley »

Thanks, Andy. Am healing nicely, just like before the Fall. How humiliating to do just before the show-stealing Eclipse! So my ego is now the only bruised part of me.