A Bucket Swansong: What to Do with our Remembrances of Things Past

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Trombley

A Bucket Swansong: What to Do with our Remembrances of Things Past

Post by John Trombley »

As someone who has definitively warned off by my doctors from buying wines that won't be mature in a year or two, I'm wondering if a bucket-list blog containing the adventures of my efforts to deal with the remains of my cellar, early as well as late, as well as the wines consumed or suggested would be an addition to the literature on wine. Still has me puzzled as to what format the invitation to pursue should take. Don't exactly want to publish the contents of my cellar and make myself a minor-league target for those whose addictions take a different format.

Of course, there are those of you out there who have gotten similar warnings either from within or without. Hey, it's all part of living. Maybe we can help each other a bit with our foreimagined grief!

But ... I'm taken with the idea of selecting [a] bottle[s] from the participant[s]'s cellar[s] that either have delivered or promise to deliver memory stimulation or storytellling, one of wine's great cultural assets, in the context of food and fellowship. Probably relaxed sipping would if anything have a therapeutic effect on those like me whose memory functions might have been adversely affected by a chronic disease. [Hey, you remember the Salmacbudnazeezzar that got away?? THAT big, eh?]

Any ideas from you or others would be gratefully received on this or similar topics!

In the unlikely event that there are others who would like to visit or be visited, in ones or in groups, to do such fun 'work'', I've put together a list of what I bought over the last 2 years since Barbara began getting ill, and going on through my current engagement and plans to be married to Jackie December 9th this. Anyone who's interested in getting a pm of the list can have one as long as I know they are legit. Will see if this creates even a soupson of a frisson of a tickle of curiosity. Let me know.There may even be a way of doing this by instant messaging or the like.
Eric Ifune

Re: A Bucket Swansong: What to Do with our Remembrances of Things Past

Post by Eric Ifune »

John,
Any time frame you thinking of?
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Eric Ifune wrote:John,
Any time frame you thinking of?
Good question. Just Sunday Jackie and I were able to set a date for our wedding (December 9 Saturday 2017) and will be wandering around for maybe 3 weeks: Talking about Florida, the West Coast, Traverse City Michigan area; others are possible. Because my cancer often leaves me with very limited energies and abilities to plan for the future, perhaps I won't be able to really bring this off, but if I go into a statistically likely remission, there may be a few months available for something like this. Again, ideas welcome.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Not sure what exactly you are aiming for but if you came to New Jersey/New York I'm sure we could produce a gathering.
Any Port in a storm!
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Early days yet; this could be sort of a blog, multimedia or no, at some convenient time. Or just some written memorials Undoubtedly early next year. Any of you have any bottles in your cellar, or readily obtainable, that would bring up stories or memories? I can remember an 1967 Christoffel-Prüm Würzgarten Feinste Auslese, or the like, drunk at Moselschild! and a humble, but drinkable, 1945 or thereabouts Erden-region wine contributed by a new Bergsretterungs memberl

Or-a 1963 Szamorodny Tokaji drunk with Peter Jordan, with the heart of a lion!

Or my very first Nahe Beerenauslese 1976 from Felix Anheuser, an Optima Kreuznacher Vogelsang. (The late Peter Anheuser's uncle). It, though not even a Riesling, was my undoing with regard to German wine and that bejewelled river!

Or the time 30 wine lovers partook out of one half-bottle of 350 ml Yquem!

Or perhaps inviting the participating of some Canadians who woudn't have to take anything back but memories!

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss-----------------------------------------------------------------------00000000000000000000000000000000000
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

i think it's a neat idea. and i think you're very graceful. i don't have a cellar but if you pass through Pittsburgh, PA, maybe we could get lunch.
congrats on your upcoming wedding!
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Scheiny S wrote:i think it's a neat idea. and i think you're very graceful. i don't have a cellar but if you pass through Pittsburgh, PA, maybe we could get lunch.
congrats on your upcoming wedding!
It'd be fun to tell some wine stories!

Piqua is just north of Dayton and north of Cincinnati, if you're going to be that way as well, let me buy you lunch.

What do you like to drink? It's hard to find a BYO near here, but I have a chef that loves for me to bring in a bottle or two and let the staff taste with us.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John,
If you'll be down in the Southern California area let me know. Would love to finally meet in person and I'll bring some things along to share. Do let me know as you sort your schedule.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Andy Velebil wrote:John,
If you'll be down in the Southern California area let me know. Would love to finally meet in person and I'll bring some things along to share. Do let me know as you sort your schedule.
What an honor, Andy. I have my hopes up! We'll need someone adept with a corkscrew, or as the French say 'Tiré bouchon' ("Cork puller"); and that is you, I'd guess.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John Trombley wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:John,
What an honor, Andy. I have my hopes up! We'll need someone adept with a corkscrew, or as the French say 'Tiré bouchon' ("Cork puller"); and that is you, I'd guess.
Hah! I'll give it my best Boy Scout try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com