TN:2004 Quinta do Crasto Old Vines Reserva Douro Red

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

TN:2004 Quinta do Crasto Old Vines Reserva Douro Red

Post by David Spriggs »

I ran across 4 bottles of this while going through my cellar. I knew I had some, but had no idea where they were. Decanted... Great color and there was a lot of sediment. Not a surprise. I smelled it.... and I was slightly concerned that it was corked. But no.... it was just some wood. The first sip was very closed. Extreme drying tannins, but it opened over the next hour to be gorgeous! Such a beautiful, wine. Very Bordeaux like with lots of structure and yet a lot of dense fruit. I had heard that this was fading. This bottle was definitely not fading and was very good example. Stored well its entire life. Wonderful! 93 points
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN:2004 Quinta do Crasto Old Vines Reserva Douro Red

Post by Andy Velebil »

I brought one home from my offsite to check in on it a couple months ago and promptly forgot to open it and try it. You're note has reminded me of that so I will in the next couple of weeks crack it and post a note as well. Glad to hear it's holding up well so far. Would be fun to open this along side a 2005 and see which is holding up better.

Come to think of it, I'm game to get some folks together and do a vertical of the Reserva's. I've got all from 2003 onward, except 2012 for some reason.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Andy Velebil wrote:Come to think of it, I'm game to get some folks together and do a vertical of the Reserva's. I've got all from 2003 onward, except 2012 for some reason.
Sounds like a great idea. Too bad we're not in the same town for I have a '99 and '01 that I could have contributed. Oh well.

Cheers ................... Mahmoud.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Come to think of it, I'm game to get some folks together and do a vertical of the Reserva's. I've got all from 2003 onward, except 2012 for some reason.
Sounds like a great idea. Too bad we're not in the same town for I have a '99 and '01 that I could have contributed. Oh well.

Cheers ................... Mahmoud.
Any plans to come to the LA area anyone in the somewhat near future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Not in the near future unfortunately. Come up to Edmonton with Roy, we'll make a weekend of it. I've some older Portuguese wines, nothing great but who else better to share it with than people who like them.

Mahmoud.
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

I have '95,'99, '02, 04, '06, '07, '09, '10, '11, '12
Would love to join in on a vertical if you plan in advance, I could make a trip from Hotlanta.
I think you could convince Roy to head down.