NEW YEAR'S EVE Celebrations with Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

We all know that when you mention wine and New Year's Eve, Champagne is the first wine to come to most people's mind. 8--)

However, given how much people here love Port (and Madeira too!), I would imagine that there will be a bunch of FTLOP'ers that are planning to open a special bottle to close out 2017.

I have one in mind, but will likely make my final decision on the 29th or 30th. But, I am already thinking over the possible options. We will be having one other couple here, (and their child) joining us for dinner and they are not big drinkers. [d_training.gif] I was considering a magnum of 1966 Graham's, but I've had it a lot, don't think the other couple will drink more than two or three glasses between them ... and while that Graham's is excellent, I'd rather open something a bit more scarce, probably in a 750 ml bottle. They are not big tawny fans, as my earlier consideration was a magnum of 1963 Burmester Colheita.

But I am far more interested in what YOU are planning, in terms of dinner wine and dessert wines for NYE. If like Glenn, you are only considering what dessert wine to drink with your meal and dessert course, leading into the rest of the evening, please feel free to share that info too.

Don't wait to the last minute, as this is an important decision! :shock:

No matter what ... drink in moderation if you are driving. If you are not driving, then at least drink a lot of water, too! [cheers.gif]

We at FTLOP wish you the best of HEALTH in 2018, a few more Ports than consumed in 2017, and several more posts over the course of the year. But most of all, be generous when deciding what bottles you will open for New Year's Eve. While it may be just another night to end the year, do so for the sake of your friend(s), family member(s) or loved one(s); as this will be a proper moment to do so! Extra credit for sharing great bottles with newbies and opening their minds and palates to the beauty of great Port! :clap:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jasper A.

Re: NEW YEAR'S EVE Celebrations with Port

Post by Jasper A. »

Well spoken Roy!

We have a 1/2 a bottle of Kopke 1967 Colheita left from christmas dinner. So I think wel finish that, and do some champagne later.

All the best for 2018!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Planning on this one for the Port. Hope it's good. Anyone had?

Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Will W.

Post by Will W. »

Moses Botbol wrote:Planning on this one for the Port. Hope it's good. Anyone had?

I have a bottle sitting in the cellar; please let us know if, indeed, it is any good.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have had good luck with OLD Ports from this producer. The 1815 was still alive. But more similar to your bottles, both 1870 and 1896 were drinking nicely. It is all about storage during its earlier years and that's just something few can ever find out. Provenance, it is everything and often times proves why a seemingly too good of an offer, usually does not work out well for the buyer. Of course, there are certainly exceptions; but going in without any idea of former provenance is a game played by the wealthy or foolish ... sometimes both. :scholar:

If you want to see photos of the aforementioned bottles, go to Facebook and type in the name of our website and you'll find them in the photos folder.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Having a S. Leonardo vertical this afternoon.
10, 20, 30, 40, 60.
Yes I feel shame at not owning the 100.
Great progression. All are excellent, but that 60. Oh dear lord is that special. Plenty of acidity to hold the balance against all that silly richness.

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

None for me as I had to work all night. However, at some point this week I'll make up for it and open something to celebrate a little late.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Joe Dachille

Post by Joe Dachille »

Happy New Year to the FTLOP world:
Joe D'Achille from Florida here. Long time Madeira fan. Roy has been after me for years to subscribe, so I have completed my first and probably only resolution of the year...I have subscribed to FTLOP and look forward to stimulating conversations and posts.
My wife, Doreen, and I had a bottle of 2011 Taylor Fladgate LBV on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, served with the typical accompaniments. :munch: Put the fireplace video on the AppleTV and we were good...more than good.
A wide selection of ports, Madeira and Portuguese table wines are non-existent in this area. I hope to read up on what others are trying and enjoying to live a bit, although vicariously.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Had the 1917 RO and '06 Cristal. 1917 RO may be on my best of 2017 list! Nice to see it made at the last hour. Still fresh on the nose, long finish and everything you'd want in a 100 year old bottle! Well done.

The Cristal was way too young, but Elys was looking forward to. Actually got a little icy when I kept it outside.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Will W. wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:Planning on this one for the Port. Hope it's good. Anyone had?

I have a bottle sitting in the cellar; please let us know if, indeed, it is any good.
It was fantastic actually! I had the 60 year S. Leonardo a few weeks ago and this colheita surpassed that one.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Mike K. wrote:Having a S. Leonardo vertical this afternoon.
10, 20, 30, 40, 60.
Yes I feel shame at not owning the 100.
Great progression. All are excellent, but that 60. Oh dear lord is that special. Plenty of acidity to hold the balance against all that silly richness.
Yep, that's a fantastic lineup! And that 60... just wow!
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I had a 1968 Krohn on death row for last night, but somehow (shockingly!) we never got around to opening it. So I'll save it for another day!
Glenn Elliott
Lisa Stevens

Post by Lisa Stevens »

Vic and I had a 1978 Kopke Colheita bottled in 2016. It was a lot thinner than I expected, though pleasant.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

We were in London for the fireworks on New Year's Eve — 14 of the family got together for the first time in about 8 years. We were armed with Champagne and Port (Maynard's 1992 LBV).

Worryingly none of it was opened. All we consumed between the 14 of us was a single glass of house Malbec. It was cold (by London standards; mid-thirties before wind chill) and all anyone wanted was to know who was doing the next coffee run and when were they going.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

You can choose your Port loving friends but you can't choose your family!
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

happy new year!

i was with two of my Port tasting group at a big party of acquaintances. there was mulled wine and spiced cider [it included black pepper. the cider was so strong we had to cut it with rum!] and a sparkling white wine toast at midnight, i have no idea what it was. i brought a bottle of Sandeman Founder's Reserve more in case there wasn't anything i wanted to drink. my Port buddies and i shared a glass, and i shared with some people we talked with who operate a maker space called Hack Pittsburgh. they were very wary, then very happy. apparently they recently hosted a mead tasting and asked me whether i would be interested in hosting a Port tasting!
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

Served a mag of Caves Sao Joao 1967 Reserva Particular (Bairrada/Dao blend) before midnight and a 1968 Andresen Tawny after midnight to keep up my 5 decade theme. Both were singing, the Joao needed a 2 hour decant.