2001 Noval Nacional

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

2001 Noval Nacional

Post by Moses Botbol »

I've seen some 2001 Noval Nacional available locally. The wine is with distributors. Not sure the wholesale pricing yet. What would be a good price to warrant purchasing to you?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2001 Noval Nacional

Post by Andy Velebil »

NN, lately, has released around the $450 range (give or take a little). So I'd expect it to be around the same for this one.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy, you think it's worth getting a bottle? Would be more of "Novalty" than anything else. I couldn't imagine drinking it unless for Nacional event.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Moses Botbol wrote:Andy, you think it's worth getting a bottle? Would be more of "Novalty" than anything else. I couldn't imagine drinking it unless for Nacional event.
:lol: I'd consider it, along with the 2004 for the same reasons--reasonable price for Nacional and to fill in a vertical.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Andy, you think it's worth getting a bottle? Would be more of "Novalty" than anything else. I couldn't imagine drinking it unless for Nacional event.
Why else does one buy a NN? LOL! And yes, NN are generally only for opening on those very special gatherings. Unless you're a billionaire and it's your daily Port :yumyum:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Paid around 500 USD for each of my 2 bottles from Jaspers shop in Holland.
Jasper A.

Post by Jasper A. »

We have the 2001 for over a year, sold quite a lot. Noval had Some realy good realese prices in the 2004 and 2001. Bying the 2nd batch is tripple the price...
It got 99 pts from Wine Spectator, so should be realy good
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I had a bottle and we opened it last harvest with a few wine lovers. We compared it blind with the Secundum 2001 of Niepoort.

I prefered the Nacional for its purity, freshness and elegance, most of the table prefered the Niepoort for its concentration and power. Both were extremely young in color and flavour profile being mostly primary.

It is a very good wine, but you pay mostly for the rarity and a unique experience and story.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I was nicely surprised how good the 2001 Nacional was showing when I took time evaluating a bottle of it pre-release.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com