TN: 2016 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Anderson Valley

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2016 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Anderson Valley

Post by Andy Velebil »

2016 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (3/17/2018)

Mid-weight red cherries and spices dominate a well balanced palate. Some soft tannins through. This isn't a fruit bomb or too lean, it fits nicely in the middle of those two. While it isn't the most complex Pinot out there, it still has enough to keep me coming back for more. At $30 this is a very well priced and made wine. It makes the perfect bottle to open when you don't want to open that $120 one. Definitely a wine I'll buy again.
89 points

OTHER:
Since I am still very new to Rivers Marie wines and learning which ones I prefer, I thought this was a darn good "daily" wine that won't break the bank. IIRC, this was 13.5% abv which is a nice change from some other Napa Pinots and also allows this to be more versatile with foods as it keeps that bright fresh fruit profile. I'm glad this company also focuses on these more affordable wines.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike K.

Re: TN: 2016 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Anderson Valley

Post by Mike K. »

I have a friend who works for Rivers-Marie. It's a neat operation. Besides their own wines they make wines for folks that aren't big enough to have their own winemaker and production facilities. Apparently if you are super rich it's trendy to have your own wine, and these guys provide that service. Got to taste a few of these out of the tank last year, they were quite good. My friend also started his own wine label a few years back and makes around 100 cases of Cab per year.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike K. wrote:I have a friend who works for Rivers-Marie. It's a neat operation. Besides their own wines they make wines for folks that aren't big enough to have their own winemaker and production facilities. Apparently if you are super rich it's trendy to have your own wine, and these guys provide that service. Got to taste a few of these out of the tank last year, they were quite good. My friend also started his own wine label a few years back and makes around 100 cases of Cab per year.
I've gotten to know Will at Rivers Marie (and his own recently started wine label with his wife called "William and Mary") and he's a super nice guy. He's been very helpful with any questions I've had and whatnot. These two companies are the only wine lists I'm on, as of last year when I joined them. So far, in my limited experience, they've been super nice folks, they make solid wines at price points from $30 to about $130, and even though they've gotten some big scores from the Wine Advocate (100 points for one of their 2015 cabs) they haven't changed a bit from their down to earth approach. That goes a long way for me to continuing to buy their wines.

Yes, it's quite trendy now for the uber rich to have a winery. Well, at least a wine label, LOL. I do wonder how much longer that will last though.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Andy Velebil wrote:I've gotten to know Will at Rivers Marie (and his own recently started wine label with his wife called "William and Mary") and he's a super nice guy. He's been very helpful with any questions I've had and whatnot.
It’s a small world. :)
I agree, great folks and solid wine.

Here I am last spring after a tour/tasting Will kindly gave my family and I. Will is 2nd from the left, I am in the middle. Got to taste his 2015 from the tank, six months before it was released. Great experience with a great guy.