Madeira stencilled with CG Bual 1800 and RT1789

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Shintaro M

Madeira stencilled with CG Bual 1800 and RT1789

Post by Shintaro M »

Hi, I am new here.

Recentry I have obtained two bottles of Madeira.
The one is CG Bual 1800.
The other is RT 1789.
Both seem very old and are made of three-part moulded bottles stencilled.

I am planning to sell them at auction.
Can anyone help me identify what "CG" and "RT" indicate?
Please let me know the value of these bottles.
I am guessing "CG" stands for Cossart Gordon,but Ican't find any clue on google or Noel Cossart's book.
As for "RT",Alex Liddell takes some note on 1789 Sercial bottle stecilled with "RT",but my bottle does't bear any grape variety.
Someone says "RT" stands for Roque Teixeira who was one of old Madeira families, Tristo Vaz Teixeyra being one of the first to discover the Island in the 15th century.

I attach some photos of them.
Any information is greatly appreciated.

Shintaro M
IMG_20180429_140756.jpg
IMG_20180429_140756.jpg (151.45 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
IMG_20180429_141344.jpg
IMG_20180429_141344.jpg (167.1 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
Eric Ifune

Re: Madeira stencilled with CG Bual 1800 and RT1789

Post by Eric Ifune »

Are there capsules? If so can you show a photo of them as well?
If there's no grape variety named, it's probably Verdelho which was the workhorse grape prephylloxera.
Shintaro M

Post by Shintaro M »

Thank you Eric for your kind reply!
I have uploaded the photos.

Shintaro M

CGBual1800
CGBual1800
IMG_20180429_141505.jpg (87.56 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
Attachments
RT1789
RT1789
IMG_20180429_204848.jpg (89.48 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
RT1789
RT1789
IMG_20180429_205256.jpg (67.42 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

They look legitimately old. The question is whether they are good with the unknown provenance.
Shintaro M

Post by Shintaro M »

I heard both of them were purchased from a shop in Madeira island in 1992.
After that,they have been kept in wine cellar.Unfortunately they don't have further information in detail.

Shintaro M

Tapatalk を使用して私の K10000 Pro から送信
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I believe the 1789 RT, has something to do with Roy's Terrantez. To me, that seems to make the most sense. [shrug.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Shintaro M

Post by Shintaro M »

Roy Hersh wrote:I believe the 1789 RT, has something to do with Roy's Terrantez. To me, that seems to make the most sense. [shrug.gif]
Hi Roy

If it were your terrantez,that must be perfect provenance!! :lol:
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

[rotfl.gif]
Justin A

Post by Justin A »

RT= Roque Teixeira?
Shintaro M

Post by Shintaro M »

I am guessing RT means Roque Teixeira.

Roque Teixeira is as follows by CÂMARA DE LOBOS - DICIONÁRIO COROGRÁFICO ,

In Portuguese:

Roque Teixeira de Agrela

Roque Teixeira de Agrela era natural da freguesia de Câmara de Lobos, onde nasceu no dia 16 de Agosto de 1792, tendo falecido no dia 25 de Janeiro de 1883, aos 90 anos de idade, no Funchal, à rua Imperatriz, onde fixara residência depois de 1880. Era filho de Manuel Teixeira de Agrela e de Ana dos Reis.
Eram seus irmãos:
1. João Teixeira de Agrela, falecido, em Câmara de Lobos, solteiro e sem descendência, no dia 27 de Dezembro de 1855, tendo também exercido funções de Presidente da Câmara Municipal de Câmara de Lobos.
1. Tomásia Matilde Henriques, que nasceu, em Câmara de Lobos, no dia 23 de Novembro de 1788, tendo casado com Tibúrcio Justino Henriques e falecido a 17 de Dezembro de 1872, sem descendência. Tibúrcio Justino Henriques tinha uma filha, Carolina Matilde Henriques, em resultado de uma sua ligação, enquanto solteiro, com Jesuína Rosa, do Estreito de Câmara de Lobos.
1. Maria Clementina.
1. Antónia Jacinta.
1. Vitorino Teixeira de Agrela, casado e que teve pelo menos um filho chamado de José Maria Teixeira de Agrela.
Em testamento feito a 16 de Maio de 1881, para além de afirmar que era solteiro, reforça a ideia de que não possuía filhos [1] e nomeia como seu testamenteiro José Maria Teixeira de Agrela, filho de seu irmão Vitorino Teixeira de Agrela, instituindo como herdeiros para além dele, Rita e Francisco filhos da sua falecida sobrinha Úrsula e de seu marido José Bartolomeu Correia; Alexandre, Maria e Úrsula, filhos de seu sobrinho Alexandre Cândido Teixeira de Agrela e ainda deixa legados a Antónia [2], filha de Carolina Figueira Chaves e de pai incógnito; Maximiana do Monte, filha de Rosa Maria, moradora em sua casa e Januário Roque, irmão de Maximiana, a quem também nomeia testamenteiro, no caso de impedimento de José Maria Teixeira de Agrela.
O poeta camara-lobense Joaquim Pestana foi também um dos contemplados com o testamento de Roque Teixeira de Agrela, tendo-lhe sido legada a loja de fazendas, onde era caixeiro.
Roque Teixeira era um importante comerciante e proprietário, possuindo várias propriedades rústicas e urbanas, como o forno da cal, pedreiras, uma loja de fazendas, uma mercearia, etc.
Foi presidente da Câmara Municipal de Câmara de Lobos, cargo para que toma posse a 2 de Janeiro de 1864, aos 68 anos de idade, para um mandato de dois anos. Para além de presidente da Câmara ocupou outros cargos públicos, nomeadamente o de conselheiro municipal.
Na sua sessão de 28 de Agosto de 1890, a Câmara Municipal de Câmara de Lobos ter-lhe-á prestado uma homenagem, atribuindo o seu nome a uma arruamento na vila de Câmara de Lobos.
De acordo com a sessão camarária de 15 de Outubro de 1856, Roque Teixeira de Agrela era Reitor da Confraria do Santíssimo Sacramento na paróquia do de Câmara de Lobos.

In English by google translation:

Roque Teixeira de Agrela was a natural of the parish of Câmara de Lobos, where he was born on 16 August 1792, having died on 25 January 1883, at 90 years of age, in Funchal, to the Rue Empress, where he settled residence after 1880. He was the son of Manuel Teixeira de Agrela and Anne of Kings.
They were his brothers:
1. João Teixeira de Agrela, deceased, in the Câmara de Lobos, single and without Offspring, on 27 December 1855, having also performed duties as mayor of the town hall of Lobos.
1. Tomáa Matilde Henriques, who was born in the Chamber of Wolves, on 23 November 1788, having married Tiburcio Justino Henriques and deceased on 17 December 1872, without offspring. Tiburcio Justino Henriques had a daughter, Carolina Matilde Henriques, as a result of his connection, while single, with Jesuína Rosa, of the Strait of the Câmara de Lobos.
1. Maria Clementine.
1. Antonia Jacinta.
1. Vitorino Teixeira de Agrela, married and who had at least one son named José Maria Teixeira de Agrela.
In testament made on May 16, 1881, in addition to stating that he was single, reinforces the idea that he had no children [1] and appoints as his executor José Maria Teixeira de Agrela, son of his brother Vitorino Teixeira de Agrela, instituting as heirs to Besides him, Rita and Francis children of his late niece Ursula and her husband José Bartholomew Correia; Alexandre, Maria and Ursula, sons of his nephew Alexandre Cândido Teixeira de Agrela and still bequeaths to Antonia [2], daughter of Carolina Figueira Chaves and father Incognito; Maximiana do Monte, daughter of Rosa Maria, resident in his house and Gennaro Roque, brother of Maximiana, whom he also appoints executor, in the event of the impediment of José Maria Teixeira de Agrela.
The poet Camara-Lobense Joaquim Pestana was also one of those contemplated with the will of Roque Teixeira de Agrela, having been bequeathed to the store of farms, where he was a clerk.
Roque Teixeira was an important trader and owner, possessing several rustic and urban properties, such as the lime Kiln, quarries, a farm shop, a grocery store, etc.
He was president of the Municipal Chamber of Lobos, a position for which he takes office on January 2, 1864, at 68 years of age, for a two-year term. In addition to the mayor he held other public offices, namely the municipal councillor.
In his session of August 28, 1890, the Municipal Câmara de Lobos will have paid him a tribute, giving his name to a street in the village of Câmara de Lobos.
According to the council session of 15 October 1856, Roque Teixeira de Agrela was rector of the Brotherhood of the Most Holy Sacrament in the parish of the Câmara de Lobos.

Any further information is welcoming!

Shintaro