Need Fonseca vertical decant advise / suggestions

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Need Fonseca vertical decant advise / suggestions

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Ifune wrote:Everyone talks about Touriga Nacional, but it makes up only a little percentage wise.
Which makes you wonder how much is actually used???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Eric Ifune wrote:Everyone talks about Touriga Nacional, but it makes up only a little percentage wise.
Which makes you wonder how much is actually used???
You mean in vintage ports specifically?
Ports in general?
Or in Douro wine production including DOC?

Via Bjarne Mouridsen we know that

2016 Burmester is a mix of 50 % touriga nacional and 50 % touriga franca from Quinta do Arnozelo
2016 Kopke is a mix of 60 % vinhas velhas from Quinta Sao Luiz and 40 % touriga nacional
2016 Barros is a mix of 40 % touriga franca, 30 % tinta roriz, 20 % touriga nacional and 10 % tinta barroca
2016 Cálem is a mix of 30 % touriga nacional, 30 % touriga franca, 30 % tinta roriz and 10 % sousão

That seems to be quite a bit...
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Rumor has it that Graham's Stone Terraces is almost 100% Touriga Nacional. Sure, there are only 400-odd cases of GST made in just the right years, but when it isn't made all of that TN goes into their other Ports.

I wonder if TN is more heavily used in higher-quality Ports, thus accounting for the overall low percentage?
Glenn Elliott
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Everyone talks about Touriga Nacional, but it makes up only a little percentage wise
I don't have the numbers, but do know that an awful lot of TN got planted, after coming close to extinction 40 years ago.

TN provided fantastic juice, but the yield was lousy. Along came the biologists, who came up with a TN that cropped well - so everyone started planting it.

However, over the last few years, the producers have been having rather cold feet about this vine - the juice from the new version seems to fall short of expectations, and its not hard to find winemakers who will tell you it was over planted.

As for percentages, it would not entirely surprise me if the amount that goes into VP is quite small now, but there's still a heck of a lot of TN vines growing..
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I was talking about the percentage of vines in the old field blend vineyards. The source of some of the best wines, which we all love so much.