Two purchases with question marks

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John Trombley

Two purchases with question marks

Post by John Trombley »

Port friends: I got some 'mixed'auction-style purchasing delivered today. Some less-familiar are a a bottle of Colhieta 1967 Quinta da Romaneira Porto, and a half of Delaforce LBV 1988 , that I think did come into the Michigan market, and for which CellarTracker has a monograph stating 'unfiltered'. Any knowledges to share on either?

I may not have done badly with this purchase because an '85 Fonseca and a half of '94 Taylor were also part of a $135 lot after BP.
Last edited by John Trombley on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Re: Two purchases with question marks

Post by Gary Richardson »

John Trombley wrote:Port friends: I got some 'mixed'auction-style purchasing aaaadelivered today. Some less-familiar are a a bottle of Colhieta 1967 Quinta da Romaneira Porto, and a half of Delaforce LBV, that I think did come into the Michigan market, and for which CellarTracker has a monograph stating 'unfiltered'. Any knowledges to share on either?

I may not have done badly with this purchase because an '85 Fonseca and a half of '94 Taylor were also part of a $135 lot after BP.
I picked up a couple of the 1967 Romaniera Colheitas a few years ago. Can't remember the bottling dates offhand, but I think they had been bottled for quite some time (10-15 years.) I have one left, and the ones that I have opened were quite nice.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Before Romaira changed hands and became ''the sister'' of Noval, they were producing some really good and unique colheita. I had a 1970 bottled in 1984 not too long ago that I really liked.

What year is the LBV?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

As Fred mentioned and I don't think they've released any old ones since the purchase in 2004.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Frederick Blais wrote:Before Romaira changed hands and became ''the sister'' of Noval, they were producing some really good and unique colheita. I had a 1970 bottled in 1984 not too long ago that I really liked.

What year is the LBV?
Sorry, M.Frederick, it was the 1988.

The Romaneira 1967 was bottled in 1995, um, at about 28 years. I'd assume that this, then, might be a much nicer bottle than i thought, and makes the whole thing more attractive!

Recent auction purchases, by the way, include some 1970 and 1985 Fonseca, the 1994 and 2003 Taylor and a refill on the 2000 Taylor VP. There were some midaged Graham VP. But the exiting thing I actually bought is two halves of the rare 2002 Eiswein from Dönnhoff, the Dienstag, that I had once owned and opened at a family party, to have it disappear in seconds! Something magical! These bottles were insufficiently pursued at auction, which often happens to wines produced in such tiny amounts! If I scored wines like this, it would have gotten an instant 99 plus/100.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

All that port for $135 doesn't sound bad at all. Heck a good bottle of '85 Fonseca I would pay $75 at auction or private party. It all adds up to more $135 at my low ball pricing... I would not expect much from the LBV, but will be curious to read your review.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

You got a complete steal for those ports at $135 after BP. I'm envious. Congratulations and enjoy.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes