Dinner at Rosa, Tedo or Portal?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Hola,

Going to Porto / Douro with my dad in the first week of September this year. Most of the appointments are in place as well as the culinary side of things. However the dining options in Pinhaõ were a bit lacklustre at least last time I was there 2 years ago.

So we'll grab a taxi at night to go out dining (We already have a DOC reservation one night at Folgosa). I miss a booking for one evening.

So what would you chose for a night out with perhaps a VP tasting before the food?

Quinta de la Rosa
Quinta do Portal
Quinta do Tedo

Alternatives?
Eric Menchen

Re: Dinner at Rosa, Tedo or Portal?

Post by Eric Menchen »

Portal has very excellent food, prepared by Milton Ferreira as I recall. I've had at least three meals there. Rosa looks good in pictures, but I've never been. I did have a good meal at Tedo, but I you should check the menu first. I think our meal was specially prepared for our group. I was under the impression the regular offerings are more limited.

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tedo for lunch is awesome. Though, Do they do dinner?

Portal is also awesome.

Never been to eat at dlR so can’t comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

I had a very nice meal at Quinta de la Rosa earlier this year. Fantastic location/view from the outdoor patio tables.

Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:Tedo for lunch is awesome. Though, Do they do dinner?

Portal is also awesome.

Never been to eat at dlR so can’t comment.
Thanks for input.

They do have dinner at Tedo. Well they are open Tues-Sat from 12:00 - 15:30 and again from 19:00 - 22:00

http://www.quintadotedo.com/bistro-terrace/
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Eric Menchen wrote:Portal has very excellent food, prepared by Milton Ferreira as I recall. I've had at least three meals there. Rosa looks good in pictures, but I've never been. I did have a good meal at Tedo, but I you should check the menu first. I think our meal was specially prepared for our group. I was under the impression the regular offerings are more limited.

Mike K. wrote:I had a very nice meal at Quinta de la Rosa earlier this year. Fantastic location/view from the outdoor patio tables.
Very cool.

It will be either of those 2 places. Might lean towards Rosa after a long day of tasting port. It is the shorter drive and looks up to par on the culinary side of things. Also have tasted quite a few Portal VPs, so could be nice to try some de la Rosa VPs as well.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Since Andy last was at Quinta do Tedo, they opened a restaurant on the premises and do lunch and dinner.

De la Rosa also opened an a la carte restaurant, as shown from Mike K's pictures of our group in May. We had a nice meal but the wine list obviously is deeply focused on their own DOC wines. Ports were not inexpensive, at all. They are not open to bringing in your own wines, at least that was not an option for us. The food and service were quite good, the ambience a bit spartan.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Roy Hersh wrote:Since Andy last was at Quinta do Tedo, they opened a restaurant on the premises and do lunch and dinner.

De la Rosa also opened an a la carte restaurant, as shown from Mike K's pictures of our group in May. We had a nice meal but the wine list obviously is deeply focused on their own DOC wines. Ports were not inexpensive, at all. They are not open to bringing in your own wines, at least that was not an option for us. The food and service were quite good, the ambience a bit spartan.
Thanks for chiming in.

I will send Rosa a e-mail to enquire about a small VP vertical followed by a meal. Wouldn't mind trying some of their DOCs.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Thomas V wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:Since Andy last was at Quinta do Tedo, they opened a restaurant on the premises and do lunch and dinner.

Thanks for chiming in.

I will send Rosa a e-mail to enquire about a small VP vertical followed by a meal. Wouldn't mind trying some of their DOCs.
Seems like the Portal people are much more willing to make a customized tasting of VPs & LBV. So we will be going there.

An additional question. I tried to make a reservation for Eskalduna Studio but we are in line for a table (Must be popular since it is a full month until we need the table). I've been to O'Paparico once before and it is great, but I am tempted to try something else. What would you recommend in walking distance from our hotel that is very close to Rui Paulas restaurant DOP (We will eat at DOC in Douro, so don't know if those 2 restaurants differ enough to try both?)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas V wrote:
Thomas V wrote:

Thanks for chiming in.

Seems like the Portal people are much more willing to make a customized tasting of VPs & LBV. So we will be going there.

An additional question. I tried to make a reservation for Eskalduna Studio but we are in line for a table (Must be popular since it is a full month until we need the table). I've been to O'Paparico once before and it is great, but I am tempted to try something else. What would you recommend in walking distance from our hotel that is very close to Rui Paulas restaurant DOP (We will eat at DOC in Douro, so don't know if those 2 restaurants differ enough to try both?)
As far as DOC vs DOP. IMO, they are very different. I love DOC. I do not like DOP. To me DOP is overpriced and not nearly as good as DOC is. However, I know others who really enjoy DOP. I would rather go any number of other more local places, especially now that there are so many new-ish higher end restaurants compared to a decade ago.

As for o'Paparico. After my last visit there I wasn't very happy with it. The food and service was nice, though slightly below what it used to be in years past. The biggest issue, they haven't changed the menu in what has to be years now. No idea why but it seems to have lost the spark Sergio gave it earlier on. Perhaps it's because he's so busy with other restaurants he's opened that o'Paparico has lost its luster and direction. o'Paparico really needs to reinvent itself menu wise and bring the service back up to previous levels.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Thomas V wrote: An additional question. I tried to make a reservation for Eskalduna Studio but we are in line for a table (Must be popular since it is a full month until we need the table). I've been to O'Paparico once before and it is great, but I am tempted to try something else. What would you recommend in walking distance from our hotel that is very close to Rui Paulas restaurant DOP (We will eat at DOC in Douro, so don't know if those 2 restaurants differ enough to try both?)
As far as DOC vs DOP. IMO, they are very different. I love DOC. I do not like DOP. To me DOP is overpriced and not nearly as good as DOC is. However, I know others who really enjoy DOP. I would rather go any number of other more local places, especially now that there are so many new-ish higher end restaurants compared to a decade ago.

As for o'Paparico. After my last visit there I wasn't very happy with it. The food and service was nice, though slightly below what it used to be in years past. The biggest issue, they haven't changed the menu in what has to be years now. No idea why but it seems to have lost the spark Sergio gave it earlier on. Perhaps it's because he's so busy with other restaurants he's opened that o'Paparico has lost its luster and direction. o'Paparico really needs to reinvent itself menu wise and bring the service back up to previous levels.
I was at O'Paparico in Septemeber 2016 and had a great meal. When was your last visit that you refer to?

These other new higher end restaurant in the centre, could you name drop a bit?

On my list I have, besides O'Paparico, DOP and Eskalduna Studio

Aurora, Rua de Entreparedes 38
Restaurant O Muro, Cais da Estiva 87
O Gaveto, R. Roberto Ivens 826, Matosinhos (A bit far from the city centre)
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Anyone in Porto the 8th & 9th of September and fancy a glass one night. Hit me a pm.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Thomas V wrote:Anyone in Porto the 8th & 9th of September and fancy a glass one night. Hit me a pm.
Port Harvest Tour 1 starts on Sept 9, so there should be a whole tour (well, okay, 12-14 people) in Porto that weekend. Hopefully you can link up with them at some point!
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Glenn E. wrote:
Thomas V wrote:Anyone in Porto the 8th & 9th of September and fancy a glass one night. Hit me a pm.
Port Harvest Tour 1 starts on Sept 9, so there should be a whole tour (well, okay, 12-14 people) in Porto that weekend. Hopefully you can link up with them at some point!
Would be awesome if they do. Don't know who will be going on the PHT1 besides Roy I? But would be great to finally meet some of the forumnites in real person and share a glass of port.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

And now I know why I am on the waiting list for Eskalduna Studio [kez_11.gif]
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

So anyone inhere going on the PHT1 and want to grab a glass of port on the 9th or 10th let me know in this thread, in private message or on facebook.

Would be awesome to meet some more FTLOP'ers in person [friends.gif]

Cheers
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thomas
I’d recommend starting a whole new thread topic so people see it more than they would here in this one. Hopefully you can meet up with some of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thomas V wrote:So anyone inhere going on the PHT1 and want to grab a glass of port on the 9th or 10th let me know in this thread, in private message or on facebook.

Cheers
I think I'm just going to have to come to Denmark some time, unless you're going to be in Portugal in 2019. I'm trying to do a FTLOP tour every other year. But my other caveat is that I'm thinking about the Five Regions next.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Andy Velebil wrote:Thomas
I’d recommend starting a whole new thread topic so people see it more than they would here in this one. Hopefully you can meet up with some of them.
I will do that. :scholar:

Eric Menchen wrote:
Thomas V wrote:So anyone inhere going on the PHT1 and want to grab a glass of port on the 9th or 10th let me know in this thread, in private message or on facebook.

Cheers
I think I'm just going to have to come to Denmark some time, unless you're going to be in Portugal in 2019. I'm trying to do a FTLOP tour every other year. But my other caveat is that I'm thinking about the Five Regions next.
So I take it you are not on the tour this year. If you decide to combine a trip to the EU with a visit in Denmark, please let me know a head of time so we can make some arrangements for me to show you around and have some nice food and beer/wine/port.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thomas V wrote:So I take it you are not on the tour this year. If you decide to combine a trip to the EU with a visit in Denmark, please let me know a head of time so we can make some arrangements for me to show you around and have some nice food and beer/wine/port.
No, this year I went to Porto for São João. Next year I plan to do either the Five Regions or PHT2. But a diversion to Denmark would be fun too!