Algarve in winter?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Algarve in winter?

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'm considering going to the Algarve with my parents over Christmas. Does anyone have any opinions on visiting at that time of year? I understand a lot of the more touristy things may be shut down, like boat tours and the like; but that isn't really key to us going. What's more important is restaurants and stores being open.
Will W.

Re: Algarve in winter?

Post by Will W. »

There is not much change in the Algarve outside of the tourist season, other than the weather being somewhat cooler (albeit not cold, at least by Colorado standards) and wetter, as there are quite a few expats living in the region, aside from (obviously) the Portuguese population; certainly, the restaurants, bars and shops worth visiting remain open. Unless you want to reside directly on a beach, I would recommend Lagos, most especially Faro and perhaps Portimao, not least as the expats tend to live outside of these small cities/large towns and you would presumably want to offer your folks something of a Portuguese experience rather than have them muck in with the Brits and others, as pleasant as the expats are. There are all manner of small towns and villages along the Algarve, of course, though I find them a bit dull, in terms of available diversions, even in the summer months. As for the boat tours, I do expect that they are shut down in the winter - I have never paid attention, frankly - but you know Portugal well enough that a bit of asking about at the right location (e.g., a tourist office) will likely lead you to a guy prepared to take you out. If I am not mistaken, the Faro-based cousin of a Portuguese colleague of mine pilots a rig of some sort, though I do not know if he owns it.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Thanks for the information and confirmation Will. As I don't think we'll be swimming much at that time, I don't think sitting right on the beach is critical. I think being in one of the towns would be nice, perhaps with a view.
Will W.

Post by Will W. »

I would recommend Faro, having taken short breaks there a couple of times as there are endless opportunities for pleasant strolls around town with plenty to see in the way of old architecture as well as relatively inexpensive bars and restaurants of good quality. The port wine situation is, of course, dire in the public houses; however, the table wine situation is most agreeable if one is partial to Alentejo wines. There are only a couple of decent hotels; however, like everywhere else in Portugal nowadays, one finds endless opportunities to rent flats and houses at modest prices, particularly during the off-season. It is a short cab or uber ride to town from the airport and one does not need or want a car there. Should you wish to wander farther afield from Faro, simply hire a car for the day or take the coastal train. And your folks might well enjoy a drive through parts of Alentejo. As I am starting to sound like a rep for the Faro tourist board, should you need anything else, drop me a PM at your leisure.