Port on tv

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Scheiny S

Port on tv

Post by Scheiny S »

I'm watching a show on Amazon Prime called America's Monsters, episode three, Lake Monsters (something I've always had a soft spot for). A woman is talking about this area in British Columbia that is a popular vacation spot. At 1:20 she says
"For people who like food and wine, this is the place to be." The camera focuses on four wine bottles next to each other. They're all Port!
Gould Campbell 1983 VP, Taylor Fladgate 20, Graham's 2007 LBV, and Taylor Fladgate 10.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Port on tv

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good eye!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Scheiny S wrote:I'm watching a show on Amazon Prime called America's Monsters, episode three, Lake Monsters (something I've always had a soft spot for). A woman is talking about this area in British Columbia that is a popular vacation spot. At 1:20 she says
"For people who like food and wine, this is the place to be." The camera focuses on four wine bottles next to each other. They're all Port!
Gould Campbell 1983 VP, Taylor Fladgate 20, Graham's 2007 LBV, and Taylor Fladgate 10.
Missed your post earlier....interesting mix of bottles. I can see the latter three as they are more recent and easy to find. The 1983 GC is not a well known VP outside of us Port nerds and generally not one easily found at the local market. Wonder how they picked that one?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

I'm watching Downton Abbey for the first time. It begins in the manor of a large estate in Yorkshire, England, in 1912.
In the first episode, the Head Butler is shown decanting a bottle of wine in front of a candle, with cheese cloth over the neck of the decanter. They don't mention Port and I don't know whether red wine is ever decanted this way.

Port is explicitly mentioned throughout the series, but never by style or name. Just generally "Port". The staff mentions "pudding glasses" a couple times.

In one instance, someone visits who makes their chauffeur wait outside in the car and says he doesn't need food brought to him, and is generally mean. The cook sends someone to bring "the miserable chauffeur a sandwich and a bottle of Port." because they recognize he's treated terribly. They make a big deal of the staff not indulging in anything not expressly allowed by the lord of the house, so I thought sending out a bottle of Port was a particularly gracious gesture.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

My wife is binging The Crown on Netflix, and so I get sucked into episodes fairly regularly. I don't recall it ever being mentioned specifically, but there are a lot of wine glasses and decanters in use that strongly suggest Port, not red wine, so I've decided in my head that they are in fact drinking Port.
Glenn Elliott