More of Less or Less of More?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

More of Less or Less of More?

Post by Moses Botbol »

Which is your preference? For example:

2 bottles of a vintage (let's say '27 & '35) between two people or 4 bottles (same vintages) among six to ten people?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Re: More of Less or Less of More?

Post by John M. »

4 Bottles, 6 to 10. I love the collective conversations.
Any Port in a storm!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

John M. wrote:4 Bottles, 6 to 10. I love the collective conversations.
The conversations are great. My thought between the two groups is more along the lines of how much port does it take to really know the bottle? Is better to really get deep into a bottle or is just a glass or two enough to call it an experience? A friend an I are having port night with a couple of old vintages (not the two in my original post) and questioned whether we should expand the audience or not. Our take so far is it's better to have a bottle a person to really be able know the two vintages. Smaller and more portions is certainly educational, but is it the same experience?
John M.

Post by John M. »

No--they are not the same. Both are great but you asked what was preferred. I would happily do either.

As a codicil, I strongly prefer to drink Port with at least somebody else...just adds an element of camaraderie.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

It isn't Port specific, but I get together with a group of three or four and we each bring a "main" bottle (to go with a single starter wine and a dessert wine). Some prefer this over a bigger group for the reasons mentioned, that you really get to evaluate the wine and see how it evolves when there are just a few people. I tend to prefer comparative tastings with more bottles, but I recognize and enjoy the smaller format as well.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'd go with 4 bottles, 6-10 people. The only time I really want 1 bottle per person is at a tasting, and I'm not capable of handling tastings all that regularly. Thus the advent of the Sammamish Port Club, which has the rule of thumb of 4-6 bottles for our 10 members.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn, but when have we EVER had less than six bottles at our Club meetings?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Three people, four bottles is my favorite small group tasting, but have done two people with six bottles too, where those bottles are tried again the next two days or at the very least, skip a day and try them again on day 3.

But I also see nothing wrong with 8 people and a dozen bottles, where everyone can evaluate the bottles by slowly evaluating each glass over several hours. That happens a lot less often and must be with either a group of rank beginners, or serious aficionados, I like both ways as John mentioned in response to Moses.

But overall, whether it is just me alone ... or one or two others joining for serious contemplation and discussions. I really like some quiet time first to make my own impressions on paper and then be able to discuss with my compadres.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Glenn, but when have we EVER had less than six bottles at our Club meetings?
We've had 5, haven't we? If you don't count the "extra" bottles that always seem to get opened at the end of the evening. :-)
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

When hosting myself in my private home, I prefer to keep it tight knit. So a maximum of 6 people including myself is the cap. I think if more than that it is hard to keep just one conversation at the table and some of the "hygge" disappears. Also if I will be serving food.

Also recently I have been thinking long and hard on the number of wines I server both in these small and informal settings and also on official club business. I think over time the number of wines have risen to an unsound number. 6-8 in small groups and 10-14 in the club tastings. I have felt that each wine does not get the amount of attention it deserves and also it is quite hard to keep a fresh palate when tasting that much. So I have been aiming to reduce the numbers a bit.

So for my next small tasting we are 6 people and just 3 ports. I have then in turn chosen 3 really really good wines and we will each be able to get 3 glasses of each wine at 4 cl per pour. Should be sufficient. A backup is in place if we after having enjoyed the first 3 wines are in the mood for an additional one.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Thomas V wrote: So for my next small tasting we are 6 people and just 3 ports. I have then in turn chosen 3 really really good wines and we will each be able to get 3 glasses of each wine at 4 cl per pour. Should be sufficient. A backup is in place if we after having enjoyed the first 3 wines are in the mood for an additional one.
Sounds like a good balance of people and port. When I get together with friends to do port, it tends to be multi-night over a weekend. The first night we go big and 2nd night we are drained from the first night. The sad part it's usually the 2nd night we plan to have the show stoppers... This year will show some temperance and/or have the show stoppers the first night.

So far, three people and two block buster ports for this year's event on night one. Night two will be use regular good ports like from the 60's or something...
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Thomas V wrote: So for my next small tasting we are 6 people and just 3 ports. I have then in turn chosen 3 really really good wines and we will each be able to get 3 glasses of each wine at 4 cl per pour. Should be sufficient. A backup is in place if we after having enjoyed the first 3 wines are in the mood for an additional one.
Sounds like a good balance of people and port. When I get together with friends to do port, it tends to be multi-night over a weekend. The first night we go big and 2nd night we are drained from the first night. The sad part it's usually the 2nd night we plan to have the show stoppers... This year will show some temperance and/or have the show stoppers the first night.

So far, three people and two block buster ports for this year's event on night one. Night two will be use regular good ports like from the 60's or something...
What do you mean by show stopper? A wine that the others cannot compete with?

Regular good ports from the 60's.. [kez_11.gif] I like your swagger. I hope to meet you some day.

These are the ports for my upcoming tasting.

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Thomas V wrote: What do you mean by show stopper? A wine that the others cannot compete with?

Regular good ports from the 60's.. [kez_11.gif] I like your swagger. I hope to meet you some day.
Real wow ports like '32 Noval, '48 Fonseca, 1886 Graham...
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Thomas V wrote:These are the ports for my upcoming tasting.

Interesting selection Image
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Phil W wrote:Interesting selection Image
We had a budget of 3000 DKK for the tasting at 500 DKK per person (e.g 75$). So the plan was to find 3 bottles at around 1000 DKK each and something with a good amount of age. We quickly decided on one of the Romaniera 40 anos (old bottling) that I had gotten my hands on. A few of us wanted a mature VP and based on recent tastings and also discussions inhere we decided upon something from 1970 as they are drinking stellar at the moment. I found the Graham's at a really good price in Germany so I snagged it. For the last port there was consensus on a older white port. Most of us have tried all the 40 anos ones, DR50 and the Dalva Golden Whites. The S.Leonardo or Lamelas 50+ ones are out of bounds of the budget. So we "settled" for the Vieira de Sousa which has an average age above 50 years.