Issue no. 97 - Buyer's Op coming end of March

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Issue no. 97 - Buyer's Op coming end of March

Post by Roy Hersh »

Douro wines, Vintage Ports, Madeira, Tawny Ports, more Madeira and White Port too. [cheers.gif]

Stash some cash, you won't want to miss this one!! [d_training.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike K.

Re: Issue no. 97 - Buyer's Op coming end of March

Post by Mike K. »

Sweet! [cheers.gif]
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Great!! [cheers.gif]
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Douro wines, Vintage Ports, Madeira, Tawny Ports, more Madeira and White Port too. [cheers.gif]

Stash some cash, you won't want to miss this one!! [d_training.gif]
I've been waiting with baited breath as this is my first buying opportunity since I became a paying member.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

After six weeks of working the deal, the pricing was finalized on Friday. Still typing and have a good ways to be finished, but it shall reach subscribers in March. The actual sale will be in April, so that shipping wine can take place with good weather, just about everywhere.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

No Alentajo or Dao? [beg.gif]

I may need to unretire! 8--)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Sorry my friend, but there are 29 excellent bottles, about 1/3 of which come from your favorite island; the rest of them have been grown in the Douro Valley.

For the most part these are reasonably priced bottles, the least of which, I believe is $12 and the most expensive is $164, as I wanted to make sure that I picked wines that offer great value, from a wide swath of categories and can be consumed any night of the week. There are some serious offerings in this mix too, but nothing too outlandish. There will be the typical minimum buy in of one case. But you can fill it for less money than the cost of the highest priced bottle.

I am very comfortable in saying, the company we are dealing with is not only uber-excited to participate in this Buying Op, but they have been given a lot of information as to how to handle the process smoothly. They are ready. I hope you are too! [friends.gif]
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Since I've already paid my taxes, I'm ready. [d_training.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ok, my mistake it is actually 30 total wines! :oops:
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

[beg.gif] [1974_eating_popcorn.gif] :good:
I'm not too anxious to see what you have in store for us.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

There are times we do some Buying Ops with lots of Ports etc. that are high end collectors items and there are some things here that might fit into that category too. Only one wine exceeds $100, but mostly these are UNDER $50, and even loads of under $40 EXCELLENT, (and so many at $35 and less) wines that have been negotiated HARD, so that you can open and sip on these for a week or two. Great 20 year old Tawnies and stellar high end and low/medium level wines to DRINK anytime between now and 2025 or so. Then there are the rocket ships that you can drink in 2040 too, with a couple that will reach the half way point of the century. :twocents:

I will leave at this ... filling a MIXED case is going to be very easy and reasonably priced. Or, TWO!! :shock: :ftlop2014:

Around Christmas this year, there will be one more mind-blowing and focused high end Port Buying Op ... but those are going to be far more costly and just about all will be collectors items, but I always include some "budget friendly" bottles too. I've already reached out to the person I want to work with to make that happen. All of a sudden, the price of a subscription seems to disappear, as you will save that several times over in 2019. :scholar: After all, I still have to make up for my poor performance in 2018. I know by the end of this year, you will ALL be able to forgive and forget. [shrug.gif]

[bye2.gif]
cliburn
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Post by cliburn »

Can't wait to see the offer.....
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

cliburn wrote:Can't wait to see the offer.....
Now released. It’s a good one. Happy shopping everyone.

Remember. Do not post the prices on the Forum!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Andy, agreed. No mention of pricing OR specific wines included. The non-subscribers choose not to see. :mrgreen:

There are some really good things in this one. Not the rare and expensive, but things you can drink as soon as you get your order in. [help.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Given that the focus on these bottles was to introduce items that you can afford and to drink now or any time you would like. It can be a simple number from 1-10 for the whole buying op:

1 = uninteresting
5 = ok
10 = I wish there were more just like this

Please leave me a number with or without a comment and not mentioning specific items/pricing please. Feedback helps me when it comes to choosing future importers/wines to work with.

Thanks!

Roy
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

There are some wonderful wines in that line up. I’ve had many of them, some many times over the years. I wouldn’t say no to any at the price points. Even the value (inexpensive) wines are good and drink above their price points (even at retail and these prices even better)

There are also a small handful that are amazing and collectible. Worth the higher tariff that’s for sure.

Happy shopping all!!!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well, at least I did get two emails with feedback. [rotfl.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Late this evening, another newsletter went out, less than 2 weeks after the last one, and for subscribers this one is a bonus issue, as there will still be 3 more as promised.

Between these 2 there are nearly one hundred pages and lots of brief pieces to make it easier to choose what you do want to read.

For non-subscribers, I included the list of items that is in the buying opportunity so you can see what is in it. If you deems this worthy of your buying into, this buying op goes through Saturday night, so you can actually still subscribe and buy into the one page missing that has all the order info, and I will update the importer daily with any new subscribers, so you will be on the list.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that even if you need (or want) nothing on the list ... at least you can see what the offer is. There will be one more, buyer's op later this year and it will include upscale and far more pricey and collectible Ports and Douro wines.

I hope the rest of the subscribers who wanted to buy in, have placed their orders already. [friends.gif]
cliburn
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Post by cliburn »

My wine arrived today. [welcome.gif]