1977 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

1977 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Post by David Spriggs »

Very dark. Almost opaque. This looks shockingly young. Blackberry, sandalwood, earthy turmeric nose. Big black fruit entry. Citrus immediately lifts the fruit. This is more suave than my last bottle of this Port. Finally there are some rounded edges and not as rustic as it has been in the past. Still a young Port with some rough edges. Starting to get it's act together. Just a touch of heat in the very long finish. Maybe 5-10 years to be really seductive. Really love the classic earthy black fruit, earth, and wood nose. WOW! Lately I've been much more into tawny, but having a great VP like this brings it all back why I got into Port. Lots of potential here. 94+ points
Blair Curtis

Re: 1977 Gould Campbell Vintage Port

Post by Blair Curtis »

Hi David!

I agree - 1977 GC is a fave of mine...and mostly under-rated even today. Powerful stuff!

Cheers,
Blair
Cheers, B.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Hi Blair!

This Port may go 100 years, but will certainly be lively until 70 years old.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks to Blair, I have bought several magnums of this Vintage Port. Two summers ago, I opened one of those mags for a party at Vic & Lisa's. It was opaque and intense from the get go and had a lot of mouths to feed, but that said, it was lagging 750 ml bottles by at least a half decade in terms of its evolution. Recent 750s of this VP have always been one of my top Ports of the vintage, along with Taylor and Fonseca and to a lesser degree (albeit possibly the darkest of all) the Smith Woodhouse ... which I just never matched the complexity of the GC from this vintage. Then again, some people and critics (Mayson/Jancis) go gaga over the SW 1977.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com