Offline in the Los Angeles area January 10-11, 2020

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Offline in the Los Angeles area January 10-11, 2020

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've not hosted a tasting in some time and it's time to change that. I know the first of the year can be a little tough, but there's Port to be drunk?

Friday January 10, 2020
Dinner will be held at the Glendora Country Club as well this night. This will be a more low key private room (not the President's Dinning Room) but we will order off the regular menu ("Fresh Friday" should still be going on). I tried to find a suitable place nearby that wouldn't charge an arm and a leg for bring in tons of our own bottles and it wasn't happening. Hence why doing it at GCC this night as well. Plus side is, no rush to finish, great stemware, private room, good food and service.

Time:
5pm start. We can adjust a little either way depending on people's flights if needed. There is no rush to leave, so even staying until midnight is not unheard of at GCC (disclaimer, a couple of the wine loving staff may be drinking with us if we go that late). Regardless of start time, I will be to the club early to make sure everything is set and ready to go. And to sit on the deck enjoying the view of the Mountains sipping some beer that Eric M. brewed and is bringing. Any/all are welcome to join us early, just let me know (there's also a full bar if you'd like something before dinner). I'll advise what time Eric and I will be there early a bit closer to the event.

Theme:
Any Port you want to bring so long as it is at least from the early 1990's or older. No one wants to drink a 2000 VP at this stage, lets just be honest :lol: We could use a few dry wines to start us out with dinner then we can move onto the Ports freestyle-pass-them-around style. If you feel so inclined to bring a dry wine (Bubbly, white, or red from any country) please post in the thread so we don't end up with 12 bottles of wine before we get to Port. Sometimes the club charges corkage and sometimes they don't, it's a toss up. If they do it's only $10/bottle so no biggie. Cost for this typically ends up being about $50 all in per person. Each person is responsible for paying the club on their own at the end of dinner (credit cards accepted).

LIST FOR FRIDAY DINNER:
Andy V.
Roy H.
Eric M.
Glenn E.
Steve P.
Lisa
Eric I.
Danny
Cris W.
Marcus
David S.

PORTS/WINES for FRIDAY:
Andy V.: 1977 Gould Campbell VP. & a moderately older wine to be served double blind (I'm the host so I can be a little devilish)
Eric M.: 1980 Warre's VP and beer for the early arrivals at the Club
Roy: 1980 Dow's VP to create a fun mini flight.
Glenn: 1980 Gould Campbell VP
Steve P.: 1974 Kopke Colheita (or 1964 Kopke if Roy brings a 74 Kopke) and a red Burgundy (TBD)
Lisa: 1974 Barao de Vilar Colheita
Vic: 1974 Barros Special Edition Colheita
Eric I.: 1937 Kopke Colheita
Danny: 1986 Quinta do Noval Colheita
Cris W.: 1977 Graham's VP
Marcus: 1970 Warre's VP
David S.: 1970 Ferreira VP

Saturday January 11, 2020
The main tasting and dinner with Ports and Douro wines at the Glendora Country Club*. I've just reserved the beautiful President's dinning room there. I will arrange a custom multi-course dinner for after the Port tasting.

TIME:
This will start at 3PM.

THEME:
Any Vintage or Colheita Port from 1970 or older. Non-blind, please post what you will be bringing so there are no duplicates and so I can print glass mats.

FORMAT:
Do the tasting in flights, take a break for a relaxed multi-course dinner and return to remaining Ports in your glasses after. This will be different than previous tastings where all the Port is consumed prior to dinner. After dinner we can casually enjoy the Ports, see how they have evolved, enjoy each others company and relax. If you care to bring a little extra to share for after, please feel free to do so.

WINE FOR DINNER:
We don't need a ton of wine with dinner, a handful of nice bottles (a couple of mags, 4-5 750ml bottles or some combo is enough) to enjoy paired with dinner as we'll be returning to the Ports after. Please post if you are bringing a wine. I will bring a mag of Champagne as a palate cleanser.

COST:
$150/person for Saturday. As I have to front about 1/2 the cost to reserve the room/staff for this special event and for logistical reasons people will need to pay me for the dinner. Everyone has already been contacted regarding payment.

OTHER:
GCC will provide all the excellent Riedel stemware**, decanters, great staff, and best part is there's no hurry for us ending and leaving. That means no rushing. I guarantee you the staff there will outlast us.

*For reference, GCC is not far from Cal Poly Pomona where I've had some previous Port dinners at, if you've been to one of those before.

The list for Saturday:
1- Andy
2- Andy S.
3- Leslie F.
4- Roy
5- Eric I.
6- Eric M.
7- Glenn
8- Steve P.
9- David S.
10- Mark H.
11- Vic
12- Lisa
13- Marcus
14- Stewart T.

STANDBY LIST:
1- Cris W.

PORTS for SATURDAY:
Stewart: 1966 Krohn Colheita
Eric M: 1922 Martinez VP (1955 Cockburn backup)
Glenn: 1950 Kopke Colheita
Eric I.: 1933 Van Zeller VP
Steve P.: 1957 Kopke Colheita
Andy S.: 1970 Martinez VP
Andy: 1955 Royal Oporto VP (I will bring a backup as I've never seen a TN on this one)
Mark H.: 1970 Taylor's VP
Marcus: 1963 Quinta do Noval VP
David S: 1963 Graham's VP
Lisa: 1967 Krohn Colheita
Vic: 1968 Krohn Colheita
Leslie: 1965 Barros Colheita
Roy: 1970 Fonseca VP (to have a nice mini-flight of 1970's).

WINES for Saturday dinner:

Andy: Grand Cru Champagne (Magnum, for before dinner to clear palate) & 1977 Sterling Merlot* (magnum)
Steve P: red Burgundy (TBD)
Roy H: 2001 Douro Tinto
David S.: 2004 Niepoort Charme
*I'll have a backup in case, as I've not had this specific wine before but others from this producer during that era have been quite good.

MENU for Saturday:

Appetizer with Champagne
Displayed Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates
Tuna Tostada

1st Course:
Hamachi Collar
Grilled Lime, Black Sesame Puree

2nd Course:
Lamb Belly
Pickled Daikon, Cilantro Mint, Peanut Vietnamese Caramel

3rd Course:
Ribeye Cap Tarragon Béarnaise

4th Course:
Cheese Display on the Table
Baked Camembert Cheese with shaved Truffle

DRESS CODE:

This is important or you WILL NOT BE ALLOWED INTO THE CLUB. GCC is a private golf Country Club and as such it does have a moderate dress code that everyone must adhere to.

Men; Collared shirts are required (no tee shirts). Polo shirts must be tucked in. Tommy Bahama style button down shirts do not need to be tucked in. Jeans are ok so long as they don't have any holes in them, are in good repair and are not excessively faded. Open toed shoes (flip-flops, etc) are not allowed. Shorts for men are not allowed for dinner.

Women; Women may wear dresses, skirts, tailored slacks, walking or Bermuda shorts. Shorts and skirts must be no shorter than four (4) inches above the knee. Jeans are acceptable. No flip-flops.

Glendora Country Club
2400 Country Club Dr.
Glendora, CA 91741
Clubhouse: (626) 335-4051

AIRPORTS:
Some people have asked... Ontario (ONT) Airport is the closest and the easiest to get to and from. The second is Santa Ana/John Wayne (SNA) Airport in Orange County. I would avoid Los Angeles (LAX) airport if possible, or if you can't, try not to arrive after 3pm lest you will sit in evening traffic for a really long time.

UPDATED: 12-30-19
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Re: Offline in the Los Angeles area January 10-11, 2020

Post by Eric Menchen »

Sounds good to me! Count me in.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Count me in! I'll probably bring Kari with me for the dinners, but she probably won't be interested in the Port tasting.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:Count me in! I'll probably bring Kari with me for the dinners, but she probably won't be interested in the Port tasting.
Cool. And easy to add Kari for dinner if she doesn’t want to do the tasting.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Shawn Denkler

Post by Shawn Denkler »

Please count me in, January is a great time for a tasting.
Shawn Denkler
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

Thanks, Andy. Please add me to the list. Is there a nearby hotel that you recommend? [cheers.gif] [friends.gif]
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Sounds like fun! I'd like to attend!
-Dave-
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Steve Pollack wrote:Thanks, Andy. Please add me to the list. Is there a nearby hotel that you recommend? [cheers.gif] [friends.gif]
Will check and get back to you on hotel.
Lisa Stevens

Post by Lisa Stevens »

Vic and I are in! Looking forward to it!

-Lisa
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I think I've got everyone down so far.

For theme
: How about 1970 or older VP/Colheita? Served non-blind so feel free to post what you are going to bring.

Wine:
If we get a few people who are willing to bring a nice red wine for dinner would be great. I will shoot to bring Champagne to clear our palates of Port and to possibly pair with course #1.

Dinner:
if anyone has any food allergies, let me know (here or privately). Mid-October I will start sorting a menu with the Chef.

Other: I don't intend us finishing Ports prior to dinner. That way at dinner we're still lucid, have a little wine with dinner, then back to the Ports with dessert and after. I know this group, so I'll bring a spare bottle of Port in case we need more. Anyone else is free to do the same (any age/type goes for spare bottles). Having done a similar style of tasting in the UK, it works very well to pace things out.

Dress Code: GCC is a private country club so there is a dress code that will be enforced. Nothing outrageous and it's pretty progressive compared to some country club's, but I will let everyone know well ahead of time.

Friday Dinner: Still sorting a place. Will try to keep it around the same area to make it easier for folks staying nearby GCC.

Steve Pollack wrote:...Is there a nearby hotel that you recommend? [cheers.gif] [friends.gif]
While there isn't a 5-star hotel nearby, I can attest that the Holiday Inn Express on Arrow Hwy in San Dimas is good. Having stayed there for a wedding in the past.
There's also Best Western San Dimas which looks good.

I would avoid the Extended Stay America in San Dimas, stayed there once and it's pretty poor.
Shawn Denkler

Post by Shawn Denkler »

I have a Quinta do Noval Garrafeira Velha bottled in 1941 I'm thinking of bringing for Friday night. Since it has been in bottle for almost eighty years it might show better the next day, we can decide that night. I'll bring a vintage port as well when we have a better idea of the theme for Saturday.
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars
Marc R

Post by Marc R »

Andy,
I'm interested, as well. If there's still room, count me in.

Marcus
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Marc R wrote:Andy,

Marcus
Got you on the reserve list.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Last time I think you hosted a Port gig, I think it was held at a really nice restaurant in OC. Many of the same characters were there that time too. Very much looking forward to this and having a fun weekend with good friends. Thanks Andy!!

I'll bring some extra wines for Saturday's dinner, and will either bring them down with me if flying UAL, otherwise, I'll likely ship them to you in advance.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

A couple people have asked so I've updated first post with Airport info.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I once spent two entire hours driving from Santa Monica to Glendora on a Friday evening. :beat:
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Eric Ifune wrote:I once spent two entire hours driving from Santa Monica to Glendora on a Friday evening. :beat:
Oh yeah, I've had the slow drive. And I think last time when we were down there in Long Beach is when my cab from LAX cost more than the airfare.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Marc R wrote:Andy,

Marcus
Marcus, You and Stewart added. We are now full at 14. 8--)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've updated the info in the first post. Please read.

IF anyone has food allergies or severe dislikes, let me know now (here, via PM or email)

Attached is the current Fresh Friday menu to give an idea of what it's like for the Friday dinner. It does change a bit from time to time, so may not be totally accurate come January.
Attachments
Fresh Friday snap.jpg
Fresh Friday snap.jpg (33.4 KiB) Viewed 9374 times
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1922 Martinez VP
1955 Cockburn VP
1980 Warres VP

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk