Offline in the Los Angeles area January 10-11, 2020

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Steve Pollack

Re: Offline in the Los Angeles area January 10-11, 2020

Post by Steve Pollack »

Hi Andy,

For Friday, I will bring a 1974 Kopke Colheita to pair with Roy's 1974. In the event he is also planning to bring Kopke, I have a 1964 Kopke Colheita at the ready.

For Saturday, I have a 1957 Kopke Colheita. I'll also bring a bottle of not yet determined red burg for each night.

Cheers,

Steve
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Steve Pollack wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:41 pm Hi Andy,

For Friday, I will bring a 1974 Kopke Colheita to pair with Roy's 1974. In the event he is also planning to bring Kopke, I have a 1964 Kopke Colheita at the ready.

For Saturday, I have a 1957 Kopke Colheita. I'll also bring a bottle of not yet determined red burg for each night.

Cheers,

Steve
Got it thanks!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Shawn D. has backed out and Mark Hubbard has taken his spot for Saturday's dinner.

I've updated the Ports I know are coming in the first post. Some pretty killer things. Gonna be a fun weekend for sure!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I'm planning on bringing a 1966 Graham's VP for Saturday. I'm going to skip Friday.
Marc R

Post by Marc R »

For Saturday, I'll bring a '63 Quinto Do Noval.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

David and Marcus, thank you. Updated.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:03 am Andy: 1955 Royal Oporto VP (I will bring a backup as I've never seen a TN on this one)
If this wasn't you I'd be suspicious that this was actually a Colheita, as I've had a couple RO from that era that were excellent. They're usually in very distinctive bottles, though, so are hard to mistake. Plus I figure you'd know the difference regardless.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

1955RO.jpg
1955RO.jpg (77.98 KiB) Viewed 6995 times
Glenn E. wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:51 pm
Andy Velebil wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:03 am Andy: 1955 Royal Oporto VP (I will bring a backup as I've never seen a TN on this one)
If this wasn't you I'd be suspicious that this was actually a Colheita, as I've had a couple RO from that era that were excellent. They're usually in very distinctive bottles, though, so are hard to mistake. Plus I figure you'd know the difference regardless.
Lisa Stevens

Post by Lisa Stevens »

I figured out what Vic and I are going to bring! For Friday night, I figure let's go for two 1974 Colheitas to jump on that theme. A Barao de Vilar and a Barros Special Edition.

For Saturday, I am going to play on Stewart's Krohn and bring in a 1967 Krohn VP and a 1968 Krohn Colheita!

-Lisa
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Lisa Stevens wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:48 am I figured out what Vic and I are going to bring! For Friday night, I figure let's go for two 1974 Colheitas to jump on that theme. A Barao de Vilar and a Barros Special Edition.

For Saturday, I am going to play on Stewart's Krohn and bring in a 1967 Krohn VP and a 1968 Krohn Colheita!

-Lisa
Coolio, got ya down for those.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

We are coming up on two weeks away. I've updated the first post with all Ports and wines coming. If anyone still wants to bring a table wine of any sort you are welcome to do so.

A few housekeeping things...

FRIDAY:
-I will probably shoot to be there around 3 or 330. If anyone wishes to meet me and Eric M. at the club Friday prior to 5pm let me know so I know who to look out for.

- If anyone is going to arrive on Friday a bit after 5, that's not an issue, just let me know. I can't promise we'll save wine a specific wine for you, cause you know how thirsty this group gets, but we'll gladly help drink your bottle, HAH! [cheers.gif]

SATURDAY:
- Saturday event will start promptly at 3pm at the latest. Don't be late. A slight chance we may be able to start a little earlier if we get earlier room access. Waiting on the final word on how fast they can turn the room from a group in the morning. If time changes I will let everyone know.

- If a few people could arrive at the club on Saturday early, about 1-1:30pm to help pour, set out glasses, etc. please let me know. Exact time depends on when we get room access, which I should know shortly and will convey.

I'm super excited, we've got a stellar line up both days and I can't wait to see you all!
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I can bring a couple bottles of sparklers if needed.
Will we be good with decanters?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Ifune wrote:I can bring a couple bottles of sparklers if needed.
Will we be good with decanters?
Feel free to bring whatever you’d like. And they have plenty of decanters to use.
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

I'm planning on bringing a Douro red. I haven't decided on which specific one yet.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

David Spriggs wrote:I'm planning on bringing a Douro red. I haven't decided on which specific one yet.
Ok sounds good to me :)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I will bring a Douro red for each night. :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:55 pm I will bring a Douro red for each night. :scholar:
Many thanks!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

For those coming Friday night. If you want to bring your bottle for Saturday to the Club you can. If it needs a long decant I can take it home Friday night and do so in the morning at the appropriate time. Or we can leave it standing in the Club cellar and decant before the tasting.

And we've lost Lisa and Vic due to an emergency. I've yet to find someone to replace them, but working on it. Regardless, I will bring from my cellar a 1968 Krohn's Colheita that Lisa was going to bringing.

I am hoping to get a Taylors 1967 Single Harvest Tawny as well by tomorrow to replace the 1967 Krohn's Vic was going to bring (keep fingers crossed). It would be fun to keep that 65/66/67/68 line up going and to see how the 67T compares between two Krohn's.
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

I’ll be attending the Friday event as well! I’ll bring a 1970 Ferreira VP. I couldn’t find my 1966 Graham’s, so I’m bringing the 1963 Graham’s instead. [cheers.gif]
Marc R

Post by Marc R »

Thank you Andy for pulling together such a fantastic couple of days. I arrived home last night expecting to be greeted by a dozen+ bottles of wonderfully aged ports, a litany of beautiful dinner wines, and a bounty of meat (as the prior two nights had created a well established pattern and expectation). I was woefully disappointed. Apparently, every evening is not as fruitful as the ones you put together.

All the best.