What Musar vintages do you like?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

What Musar vintages do you like?

Post by Eric Menchen »

I know there are some Musar drinkers around here. What vintages do you prefer? I ask because there is a bunch up for auction this week at Acker:
2002 (lots of this)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: What Musar vintages do you like?

Post by Andy Velebil »

I drink a lot of Musar. Of those listed, 1999 is my favorite. I've consumed well over two (almost 3??) cases of it already over the years.

2003 is really good but it's in a weird place right now. Put in cellar and forget for about 3-4 years.

2000 is good, I've drunk through about 17 bottles. It's a bit more polished for Musar, compared to the 1999 anyways.

2008 is also a good vintage. It's young so people don't really talk about it yet.

You really won't go wrong with any of them to be honest. If prices are right, I'd buy them all FWIW.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

'98 and '88 are both rock stars in addition to what has added.

For whites I like '99, '01, '05
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:'98 and '88 are both rock stars in addition to what has added.

You're killing me :lol: ...that doesn't help him pick what is available at the auction.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:'98 and '88 are both rock stars in addition to what has added.

You're killing me :lol: ...that doesn't help him pick what is available at the auction.

Oh, I missed that part of his question. I looked at the auction and nothing was jumping out as a deal. Nice to see so many lots of Musar
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Moses Botbol wrote:Oh, I missed that part of his question. I looked at the auction and nothing was jumping out as a deal. Nice to see so many lots of Musar
The 1999 and 2000 aren't great deals, but those aren't so commonly found these days. And the 2008 works out to be about $22/bottle, so that seems worthwhile.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The best I've ever had were here in Seattle from ex-cellars bottles shipped to me from Lebanon (one case of White and one case of Red). White and Red from 1959, literally a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Serge and Bartholomew Broadbent each flew in for this event, along with some very close friends. None will ever forget the lineup that ended with those two bottles of 1959, Serge's stories and the bottles from MANY vintages, that were enjoyed prior to the 1959's. :winepour:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Pretty much Musar nailed (with reds) most vintages that end in 8, the 1988 likely being the greatest 8 of all.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:08 am Pretty much Musar nailed (with reds) most vintages that end in 8, the 1988 likely being the greatest 8 of all.
'98 and '88 are fantastic. Can't recall if I had '78. I bet '08 is solid, but maybe not as funky? I have some bottles '80 which are interesting.