1720 Borges Pather

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Ifune

1720 Borges Pather

Post by Eric Ifune »

The Rare Wine Company has just put a bottle up for sale on it's website. $12,500.00. Anyone or group want to go in?
Reidar Andersen

Re: 1720 Borges Pather

Post by Reidar Andersen »

Hello, I have one bottle plus Borges 1780 Boal bought from Patrick Grubb 2002 , both with his labels and picked up from Patrick himself in the autumn 2002...
Reidar Andersen

Wow, gone from RWC sales list
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

That was quick given the price. Wonder what an auction would bring currently?
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Reidar Andersen

I regret I did not ask Patrick if he knew how many bottles Borges had...
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Mannie said that there were 94 bottles of the Pather produced in the 1989 bottling. I assume there were some older bottlings (the bottle sold at Sotheby's is very different from the 1989s), but I was never able to find any information on those.
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Hey there,

as far as I was told from Borges family members some years ago...

"Pather was bougth in 1915 by Henrique Menezes Borges, one year before his death. This name was baptized Pather because, the father refered to the wine as being the oldest wine in Madeira and for it never be sold.
All the wine were inherited by his children, João, Henrique and Maria. All this wine was stored in demi-johns."

These demijohns were passed to his children and were untouched until 1989 when it was bottled from the heirs of Maria (I am quite sure) and possibly another family branch.

Furthermore I was told that the 1989 bottling led to around 100 bouteilles (which is in accordance to Mannie's infos).

I am - however - very surprised to say the least on the fact, that a bottling showed up which said "Palther" and I still have my doubts about the provenace of these bottle(s).

Noone I know has an idea what should have been a reason to stencil with L...there is no meaning for it neither a good explanation for this was given to me from the person offering this wine.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I know that at least one of the heirs had his bottles labeled and rewaxed. This may account for some of the differences in appearance. Still, I've if seen photos of some bottles which make you wonder.
Reidar Andersen

My bottle has two paperlabels from Grubb. One big covering Pather. One small on the other side. As you surely gues, I wanted the Pather to be seen...