Bay Area X-mas offline?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Bay Area X-mas offline?

Post by Jay Powers »

Continued from the Port Forum to take advantage of the new spot for offlines:

How about the lovely San Francisco Bay Area, USA for a venue? I live about 10 miles south of SF in the lovely city of Pacifica. I would suggest either Friday or Saturday December 14th or 15th (with my preference being for Saturday 12/15.

Ocean-front hotels are within walking distance (downhill, of course) of my house, which is a 13 minute cab ride from SF International airport, ~20-25 minutes from downtown San Francisco, ~60 minutes from the Santa Cruz mountains or San Jose, ~2 hours from Napa.

My kitchen table fits 6 in a pinch, but if more are in I'm sure things could be arranged.

Theme to be detemined, but my cellar essentially ends at '63 for VP, or '34 (one bottle)/'37 for Colheita so let's not go crazy. But lets not do 2003 either.

Anybody interested?

Jay
Jay Powers

Post by Jay Powers »

So far we have the following responses:

Andy V. (possibly)
Rich Greenberg (possibly)
Roy (possibly)
Marco D. (possibly, but ony if it's on the 15th)

Anybody else? David are you out there? Theme still to be decided, but I'm sure we can come up with something interesting!

Jay
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I head into work on Thursday, so by the end of the week I should have a definite yes or no. If I'm able to do this, Saturday or Sunday (16th) would be the only days I could do it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rich Greenberg
Location: Redwood City, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Rich Greenberg »

Jay-

Sadly, I will not be able to attend. We have family arriving in town on Friday the 14th, and will be having dinner at my mom's house Saturday evening.

I'm very disappointed as I had hoped that there might be a way that I could join you. Hopefully, there will be another opportunity to meet up with you and some of the other FTLOP'ers to share some port.

Thanks again for the invitation!

Rich
Jay Powers

Post by Jay Powers »

Sorry to hear that Rich. So, that makes so far:

Jay
Andy V. (possibly, but only if it's on the 15th)
Roy (possibly)
Marco D. (possibly, but only if it's on the 15th)

It's looking like the 15th may be the best date, although we still have no positive commitments. Well, I will be enjoying some port that night even if nobody else joins up. Could be just me, Carolyn, and my daughter (DOB 1985) which would certainly set the theme :D

Speaking of themes, I will suggest the following possibilities (and happy to entertain others):

1) 1963, does Grahams rule supreme? (not including '63 nacional, unless somebody is willing to bring a bottle :yumyum: )

2) 1966, Grahams, Warres, or ? What is the must buy port from this year which is set to eclipse the '63's?

3) 1970 (name your reason)

4) Pre-Korean War Colheita

5) Pre-today Colheita

6) Which year was the smartest girl in the year born (1985)

7) Are the '94's ready to drink?

Come on guys :?

Jay
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Hey Jay,

I'll know for sure sometime next week. All of my wife's family/friends are in SF and our trip is going to be packed with lots of visits to her relatives.

I lived in the foggy part of Pacifica for a few months (at Avalon) and I remember the constant, damp, chilly fog... perfect port weather. :)
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Looks like I can't get that saturday off work due to below-min staffing levels. So sadly I won't be able to make it :(

Jay, The next time I head up that way i'll let you know ahead of time and hopefully we can meet and share some Port.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to make it. The weekends are all going to be booked for me with trips to the in-laws... bummer :(
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Jay Powers

Post by Jay Powers »

OK, not a lot of positive response here. So I guess we will call it off. I will sit next to my fireplace all alone and drink all the good stuff myself!

Jay
Rich Greenberg

Post by Rich Greenberg »

Hey, Jay. I am really bummed that this didn't work out for me this time. I will make sure that during my family festivities that weekend that I raise at least a glass or two of port in your honor. I will think of you, alone, wrapped in a blanket, staring sadly at the fire as you suffer through drinking your good port without company. ;)

Maybe we could figure something out in early '08?

Rich
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Rich Greenberg wrote:Maybe we could figure something out in early '08?
Keep us in the loop for this, as there is a distinct possibility that work will take me down to Cupertino again early in 2008 (sometime in February or very early March)

I will let you all know if I am coming as soon as I find out! ;)

Todd
Jay Powers

Post by Jay Powers »

Rich and Todd

When Todd figures out when he will be in town, we can plan something then.

Rich, if you like, perhaps we can get together earlier, sometime in Jan.?

Jay
Rich Greenberg

Post by Rich Greenberg »

Jay-

I'd be up for something in Jan. I'll check the calendar and see what appears to be open. I'll PM you later.

Rich
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jay,

there is a slight chance I may be up your way late December or early Jan. If so, I'll give you a heads up and if our shedules work we can meet up for some Port.