Older Blandy's 10 y.o. Malmsy.

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Older Blandy's 10 y.o. Malmsy.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I was in a small liquor store in Central Jersey and came across some older bottles of Blandy's 10 y.o. Malmsy. The price seemed higher then they should be but I was wondering if there would be any difference in quality between this version and the latest version? Any idea how old this bottle might be? Is it worth buying or is a 10 y.o. nothing to write home about? I know exactly zilch about Madeiras, so any response would be appreciated even if you tell me the 10 y.o. is dreck.
Attachments
IMG_2957.jpg
IMG_2957.jpg (661.42 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Eric Ifune

Re: Older Blandy's 10 y.o. Malmsy.

Post by Eric Ifune »

Any image of the selo?
I like Blandy's current 10 year old range quite a bit. Not too bad a price.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Eric,

No, sorry. I didn't think to take a pic of the selo. I'm glad to hear that you think they're good. I think when I get back from vacation I'll pick them up. They have 2 or 3 bottles.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

In my limited experience, Madeiras tend to go for about $20 per 5 years of age. They're more expensive age-for-age than Tawny Port with an indication of age. So a 10-year old would be perfectly normal at $40.

Also in my limited experience, I like Blandy's better than H&H or Borges, so I expect this would be pretty tasty! Certainly worth a try for $35.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

For the price worth a shot to grab one, open it and see how it is. If you like it grab the rest. The good thing is Madeira doesn’t go downhill near as fast as other wines so at worst it should still be decent.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Haven't seen a bottle in over a year in Montréal
50.00$ cdn
All we get is rainwater [shrug.gif]
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .