1955 Royal Oporto VP

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

1955 Royal Oporto VP

Post by Eric Menchen »

Cork is branded with "Carvalhas" (Quinta das Carvalhas). This has a sweet cough syrup aroma, with medicinal alcohol and dried fall leaves. Then there is a pleasant cooked aroma, like a Christmas fruit cake or date nut cake, but not overly spiced. This tastes more acidic than the previous two wines (1922 Martinez and 1933 Van Zeller), which is nice to balance the sweetness. There is a little mint in the flavor at the end, before a nice finish, tending to long. This is a pleasant surprise and improvment after the first whiff. Later taste showed that medicinal flavor again, limiting my score to 91+ points, as I was contemplating going higher for a moment before that.
Llyn Strelau

Re: 1955 Royal Oporto VP

Post by Llyn Strelau »

Hey Eric, please raise a toast to another 1955 (my birth year!!!) I am now officially a senior citizen! We had 7 bottles of 1955 vintage wine for my Jan 1 birthday dinner. All in at least as good condition as I am (that is a good sign!)
Eric Menchen

Re: 1955 Royal Oporto VP

Post by Eric Menchen »

Llyn Strelau wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:40 pm Hey Eric, please raise a toast to another 1955 (my birth year!!!) I am now officially a senior citizen! We had 7 bottles of 1955 vintage wine for my Jan 1 birthday dinner. All in at least as good condition as I am (that is a good sign!)
Excellent. I still have two Ports and two Sauternes from 1955 in my cellar, should you make it to Colorado. This Royal Oporto wasn't mine, but I opened a 1955 Cockburn, tasting note to follow.