1973 D'Oliveiras Reserva Bual Vintage Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

1973 D'Oliveiras Reserva Bual Vintage Madeira

Post by Mike J. W. »

Hi all. I'm a big time Port drinker, but I'm starting to get curious about Madeira as well. Tonight when looking for Port at a liquor store on my way home I saw 2 bottles for sale of the 1973 D'Oliveiras Reserva Bual Madeira Reserva at $100 each. I only saw one review on cellartracker and that's it. Does anyone have any experience with the 1973 vintage? Is the Reserva the same as a 1973 D'Oliveira Bual? i.e. is the name interchangeable?
How good or bad would these bottles be? Great? Average? or Yuck? I appreciate any help you could provide.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 1973 D'Oliveiras Reserva Bual Vintage Madeira

Post by Glenn E. »

I can't help on quality, but that's a great price for a 1973 Madeira. Since Madeira is pretty difficult to ruin it's probably worth getting one just to see what it's like. Then if you like it, run back and get the other one. :-)
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

For $100. Go buy them all right now. Don't wait, run. My birthyear, I've had one. Very good, and still young, Madeira.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I bought 1 for now. I'll try it over the next few weeks. If I like it, I'll definitely go back for the other one. They also have 4 or 5 bottles of the Magalhaes 2000 VP that have been there forever it appears. They're at a good price so I'll pick up a few of those as well.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:I bought 1 for now. I'll try it over the next few weeks. If I like it, I'll definitely go back for the other one. They also have 4 or 5 bottles of the Magalhaes 2000 VP that have been there forever it appears. They're at a good price so I'll pick up a few of those as well.
Been a long time since I’ve had the 2000 Magalhaes. What I recall was a nice mid term VP that should be in a good window right now (and prob still showing more younger than older at almost 20 yrs). How much they asking for them?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:56 pm
Mike J. W. wrote:I bought 1 for now. I'll try it over the next few weeks. If I like it, I'll definitely go back for the other one. They also have 4 or 5 bottles of the Magalhaes 2000 VP that have been there forever it appears. They're at a good price so I'll pick up a few of those as well.
Been a long time since I’ve had the 2000 Magalhaes. What I recall was a nice mid term VP that should be in a good window right now (and prob still showing more younger than older at almost 20 yrs). How much they asking for them?
The Magalhaes are going for $60 a bottle. That seems a tiny bit high for an unknown Port, but from what I've read in limited reviews, it's a nice Port. They have 3 or 4 bottles left so I'll pick up a few more over the coming weeks.

The carton that the Magalhaes comes in is has nice graphics. I also like the carton the D'Oliveiras came in as well. I'm saving them both.