Want to Retire in Portugal?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Want to Retire in Portugal?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike K.

Re: Want to Retire in Portugal?

Post by Mike K. »

Very interesting, thanks Roy.

Has anyone dealt with these folks? If it’s all they are claiming, their videos and help guides would be well worth the money.

The video sales pitch quickly becomes insufferable, just click on the transcript link and read through the pitch in a fraction of the time.
Alan McDonald

Re: Want to Retire in Portugal?

Post by Alan McDonald »

I would not spend the $249. It is a sales pitch and nothing more. You can find out as much as you need to know in general terms from the internet. For specific information about your individual situation you need specific legal advice. There are "golden passport" opportunities and my failed sale was to someone who is migrating here on one. Again, you need a legal adviser to get you through all that. I have already referred another enquirer from South Africa to my advogada (lawyer) who is excellent. Prior to her I fired three in fairly quick succession for not doing work they had undertaken. It seems to be a common failing in Portugal.

For a guide as to prices of property in the general area of Castelo Branco (and you may find that you are restricted to buying in the inland and not the coast - where prices are very high) see my signature website. This is not a retirement property, it takes up to 30 hours a week to work it properly and flat out at harvest time, so it is not suitable for someone who is actually looking to retire. You can find many properties on various estate agents sites (bearing in mind they talk up the quality and talk down the price for a quick sale and quick commission). Also sites such as PurePortugal and GreenAcres. It costs you nothing to look even if you are just curious.

The cost of living is most certainly very low. We would like to retire to the far north of Scotland where we previously farmed, but would need a lot more income than our retirement pensions provide, so Pico, Açores is our choice.

Safety was our first criteria in moving here and I believe it is still as safe. I had an exchange on this forum some time ago with anothe rmember about relative murders in the USA and Portugal and on a per capita basis Portugal is so far below USA it is unreal. Other crime is very low too in comparison with just about any country you care to look at.

Any member should feel free to contact me (email address on the website) about anything to do with moving here. I may not be able to answer, but I can probably tell you someone who can.