Purchasing cask samples.

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Purchasing cask samples.

Post by Mike J. W. »

I saw an auction site that is selling some cask samples and I'm curious what the difference is between those and the eventual bottlings that are sold in stores. Is there a quality difference? Better? Worse?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Purchasing cask samples.

Post by Andy Velebil »

In my experience, compared to the "real deal", they don't hold up all that well beyond a few years. Depending on the producer, some may not be the exact final blend. Often these are bottled without the same "care" as the final blend (i.e. they are meant to be opened in short order). If the price is right (cheap) then worth the gamble. I would not spend much for any older ones, especially in smaller formats.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Thanks Andy, that's good info.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

+1 to what Andy said. A modern bottling line will rinse and sanitize bottles and fill them with minimal chance of oxidation. A cask sample might have been filled on one of these lines. Or it might have been filled with a wine thief and corked with a manual corker. Could be good after a few years, might not be.
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

For some experience:

Just got 10 Grahams 1994 and 2 Dow 1994 375ml cask sample bottles at auction for $22 each. Seemed worth the risk. Sold as 12 Grahams, strange auction error.

1st tried (Grahams) was fine, but advanced from where it normally would be (maybe the 375 format added to that). It DID come with a Tawny-style cork/cap that was not super tight with white crust around the rim.

Overall, for $22, I am satisfied. Makes it easy to bring a 28 year old port to a small gathering.

I have a single 2003 Vesuvio in the same 375 cask sample format to try as well, for $19.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Randy Katz wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:12 am For some experience:

Just got 10 Grahams 1994 and 2 Dow 1994 375ml cask sample bottles at auction for $22 each. Seemed worth the risk. Sold as 12 Grahams, strange auction error.

1st tried (Grahams) was fine, but advanced from where it normally would be (maybe the 375 format added to that). It DID come with a Tawny-style cork/cap that was not super tight with white crust around the rim.

Overall, for $22, I am satisfied. Makes it easy to bring a 28 year old port to a small gathering.

I have a single 2003 Vesuvio in the same 375 cask sample format to try as well, for $19.
What auction site did you find those on?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Randy Katz wrote:For some experience:

The 2003 Vesuvio samples have probably held up the best of 1/2 bottle samples around that time frame, from my experience anyways.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Randy Katz

Post by Randy Katz »

Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:56 am

Spectrum Wine Auctions
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Randy Katz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:35 pm
Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:56 am

Spectrum Wine Auctions
Thanks for the tip, Randy. I buy from Spectrum sometimes, but I must have missed that auction. Enjoy!