Thanksgiving Ports?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Richard Henderson

Thanksgiving Ports?

Post by Richard Henderson »

Those of us in the States celebrate this fine holiday while Europe, Canada, Australia and the rest of the world works!

What are my fellow Yanks opening for Thanksgiving?

We are making cranberry almond chutney and sweet potato and pumpkin recipes for the Thanksgiving feast. A cold front has dropped the temps. We have lit the fire.

I found a half bottle of 1983 Dow that I have decanted and will try in a couple of hours.
Richard Henderson
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

I could see myself going through a fair amount of port over the next 5 days. I have a 375mL 1980 Warre decanting as we speak and a 1995 Vesuvio is also on "death row". A '97 Taylor 375mL could also bite the dust.
Mark DaSilva
Location: Mission Viejo, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Mark DaSilva »

Taking a Dow 20 year to our inlaws. Past experience says they are tawny fans so...

At least I don't have to cook.
Richard Henderson

That 95 Vesuvio sounds very interesting. The 97 Taylor seems a little young but half bottles age faster.
Richard Henderson
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Since I work on thanksgiving day no Port for me. At least I get off in time to make a short stop at the relatives for a quick and late dinner. Although tonight is a Graham's 10 year old tawny Port.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

Richard, I bought a bunch of half bottles of the '97 Taylor so I am considering it just to check in on it. The rest will be cellared for quite a while.
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Should be a big long Port and wine filled weekend. My wife and I rented a house in the mountains for Thanksgiving and Saturday is our wedding anniversary. So we'll celebrate with an intimate Thanksgiving feast of organic turkey and whatnot accompanied by Gary Farrell pinot and zin (my newfound favs). We'll have friends (including my Port buddy) joining for the rest of the weekend of skiing, saunas, and hottubbing.

The following will be coming down with us:
~Krohn '77 Colheita
~'95 Fonseca Guimaraens
~Fonseca 20 yr tawny or Graham's 40 yr
~'03 Q. do Noval (might check one of this newer arrival out)

We also have a sparkling ice wine from Canada to share as an anniversary toast with friends.
Scott Anaya
Richard Henderson

Robert,
I bought a case(24) of half bottles of the 92 Taylor and I open one from time to time to check. Always a blockbuster. I have never opened a 750 or magnum of the 92 Taylor.
I have some 750's of the 97 Taylor so it will be interesting to see how the 375 is doing.
Richard Henderson
Rich Greenberg
Location: Redwood City, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Rich Greenberg »

In case anyone (like me) wants a nip of port after dinner tonight, I just stood up a bottle of '95 Warre's LBV. I plan to pop open another bottle this weekend as well, just haven't figured out which one yet.

Happy Turkey Day to all those celebrating in the US!

R
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

We had our Thanksgiving a month ago, but I will happily sip on a Port tonight while I work a late change and celebrate with my American friends! :)

Happy Turkey Day all!

Todd
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Stopped by the relatives for a couple hours after work tonight. Had dinner, got beat up by my little cousins...who arn't really little anymore, as two are now as big as me or bigger, so after the 5 on 1 wrestling match I'm a little sore :help: Just got home and having a small glass of the Graham's 10 year Tawny Port to cap off the evening and make the pain go away ;)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Sounds like a perfect painkiller Andy! 8--)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Trust me its helping. Mental note next time, only 2 on 1 from now on :lol:
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

I opened up a bottle of 1985 Kopke Vintage Port. I didn't know what to expect from this producer's Vintage Ports but it turned out to be quite nice. It started off a little tart but after 60 minutes in the decanter gained a nice weight and sweetness.
Richard Henderson

We drank the DOw 83 half bottle on Thanksgiving Eve and opened a Graham's 83 for Thanksgiving. THe Dow 83 halves have showna little botttle variation. This had good fruit but not much middle and a nice finish.
The Graham's has opened with a rich, ripe strawberry jam nose. NIce full mouth feel . We have left it to decant for a day to see what happens.
Richard Henderson
Michael J
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Post by Michael J »

94 Ramos with the cheese course yesterday. Decanted for 7 hours. Big, plummy, jammy. Not a whole lot of structure. Will have another glass tonight.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I had a case full of assorted Burmeister's ports from a local wine expo. Everything from Ruby, 2001 LBV, 2005 Vintage, 89 & 90 Colheita's, various Tawny's, to a couple of others that are escaping.

Also had out Sandeman 20 year and Boston Bual.

It was more than enough for 5 people.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I had a 1966 Grahams VP, following a traditional turkey dinner. Note in the virtual tasting section. I'll just say a few words about it here...

...It was good! :D

Jay
Michael J
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Post by Michael J »

Michael J wrote:94 Ramos with the cheese course yesterday. Decanted for 7 hours. Big, plummy, jammy. Not a whole lot of structure. Will have another glass tonight.
Went back to the 94 Ramos last night. Open for about 36 hours. More acidity showing through. Still quite fruity. A better glass than the night before.
Paulo Barbosa

Post by Paulo Barbosa »

My lineup was:

1945 Croft
1963 Croft
1970 Taylor
1977 Fonseca

5 people, no leftovers

What a blowout!!!!!
To our good qualities which are not few.