Same Port from Same Case, Different Result

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Same Port from Same Case, Different Result

Post by John M. »

Opened two bottles of 1985 Ferreira, purchased from the same case. Very different...think one is flawed. Still.
Attachments
Two 1985 Ferreira's
Two 1985 Ferreira's
two 85 Ferreiras x.jpg (126.64 KiB) Viewed 3412 times
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Same Port from Same Case, Different Result

Post by Andy Velebil »

Looks as though cork on right one failed and allowed too much air in and it oxidized.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:43 pm Looks as though cork on right one failed and allowed too much air in and it oxidized.
Bingo!. Cork was loose and fell into wine.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:43 pm Looks as though cork on right one failed and allowed too much air in and it oxidized.
We’re these the ones (the vintage) standing upright in the case? I thought Moses had issues with this vintage as well.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:21 pm
John M. wrote:
We’re these the ones (the vintage) standing upright in the case? I thought Moses had issues with this vintage as well.
1980 Ferreira was the case that shipped and stored upright. I have a few cases of the '85 Ferreira like John's and they've been consistent so far. Also have a case from the vendor of '80 Ferreira. Same bottle and label, but the corks often fall in. John's cases of '85 Ferreira are in cardboard and I have them in both cardboard and OWC. Odd they came both ways, is that typical for Ferreira?

The place I bought those cases from back in the day had a proper wine seller. The case was actually full of black mold. Was sneezing like crazy on the hour plus ride home when I bought them.

I've seen '85 Ferreira with different labels too. I really love this vintage and have an ample amount. One of my top three producers of the '85 vintage currently.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
John M.

Post by John M. »

I bought the case last year at auction. So far two have been perfect, one slightly off and this one that was way off. Still we drank it all.... even the off one was okay.

The good one was beautiful.
Any Port in a storm!