TN: Oswalt Jackson & Bro Verdelho

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Ifune

TN: Oswalt Jackson & Bro Verdelho

Post by Eric Ifune »

From the Liberty Hall collection. I can't seem to find any reference to Oswalt Jackson on the web.
Paper label. The label states Oswalt Jackson & Bro. New York. All the wines from this sale were mid-19th century.
Old three part molded brown glass bottle. Lots of sediment adherent to the sides. Level to base of neck. The cork disintegrated even using a Durand, but the seal was intact.
Decanted using cheese cloth. Three days in the decanter.
Iridescent amber green color.
Wonderful aromas of tangerines, canned pears, spices, smoke, and toasted hazelnuts. Lots of fruit on the nose.
Rich and very dense mouthfeel. Velvety. Very obviously Verdelho. Despite the density of the mouthfeel, this has an ethereal, delicate, lacy, and airy quality to it. Very attractive. The only other wine I've had that had this quality is the 1989 FE Trimbach Clos Ste. Hune Vendage Tardive Hors Choix. Wonderful balance.
The only detraction was some bitterness and leanness on the finish.
Right now, I'd give it 94 points. Will give it more time to see if the finish gets richer.
Eric Ifune

Re: TN: Oswalt Jackson & Bro Verdelho

Post by Eric Ifune »

After three more days, it has freshened up a bit. Also a bit less lean on the finish. Now with marzipan, limes, and tangerines. I'd give it a 95 now.