1971 Dalva Golden White port -- (Presidential)

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Rune EG

1971 Dalva Golden White port -- (Presidential)

Post by Rune EG »

75 cl. Bottled 2013. Decanted 30 minutes. Transparent, clear, amber colour. Rich aroma of a mix of citrus, oak and minerals. Hints of nuts. Medium to full body. Taste is rich, elegant, citrus (some orange peel) and some wood. After 30 minutes the acidity is growing and it appears a bit sharp/bitter towards the end. Medium to long aftertaste. Fantastic first half hour, then less impressive. In total 93 pts.
Mike J. W.

Re: 1971 Presidential (Dalva) Golden White port

Post by Mike J. W. »

That's funny that you just posted this tasting note because the '71 Dalva Golden White is next on my hit list. I was down in my cellar the other day moving some bottles around and saw that my only Golden White had become a leaker. It is literally slated to be the next bottle I open. I'll have to see if I run into that same bitterness you mentioned after it's been in the glass for a little bit.
Last edited by Mike J. W. on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've had mixed reactions to subsequent GW's they've released. Some of them have a very dry and bitter aspect to them I don't care for, this one was one of those I don't particularly care for.

The '63 though is very good.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I, too, have had mixed reactions to the releases after the 1952, though my preference to date has been the opposite of Andy's. For some reason I never really liked the 1963 and greatly preferred the 1971. That said, my preference was because I felt that the 1971 was lighter and more ethereal, which would be spoiled by prominent acidity.

I haven't tried the latest... 1989 if I recall correctly?
Glenn Elliott
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

I’ve never had the pleasure of tasting the 52. I enjoy the 63, but prefer the 71 as it’s more in line with what I look for in a white. The 63 is more dark and brooding.