1999 Kranemann Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Will W.

1999 Kranemann Colheita Port

Post by Will W. »

This 2019 bottling, which correspondingly required no decant, was superb - just as were the two previous exemplars of this colheita from the same case purchased at the property during a pre-pandemic visit. At a price point analogous to twenty year old tawny ports, the 1999 Kranemann colheita meets - and invariably exceeds - the quality offered by Ferreira, Noval, Levandeira and any other top-drawer blend of a similar age.

In the glass on 06 February 2021, the wine was redolent of dark amber, largely translucent and showed a hint of yellow on the rim. The nose was superb, treading expertly the fine line betwixt youthful and more mature barrel-aged ports. In particular, the olfactory nerve was assaulted at the outset by cherry blossom, wood, smoke and sweet molasses, complemented by a perfectly-pleasant medicinal note. At the fore-palate, honeycomb and cherry dominated, followed by cinnamon, powdered ginger and the gentlest of citruses. The cinnamon carried on to the back, where soft tannins became discernible. The finish was fantastic: I counted three waves, once it got going fully, and the finale showed more strongly upon the contemplation of each sip. More specifically, the finish warmed the mouth and the sinuses with infusions of cherry and still more cinnamon, with nary a touch of heat in evidence; a note of nuts at this point reminded of the warming spectacle of a toddler gathering hazelnuts from beneath the trees with his mother during my visit to the quinta.

The richness of this port confused my palate somewhat; I thought it to be of medium sweetness, when in fact it contains less than 100 g/l of sugar. With 4.3 g/l of tartaric acid, this is a tawny which will not appeal immediately to those inclined to Kopke- and Niepoort-levels of acidity; for instance, persons such as myself. In the event, I cannot resist this very fine port and do hope that more might become available than the 2019 run of 460 bottles. For now, if you can find any, buy it.

-93 points
Rune EG

Re: 1999 Kranemann Colheita Port

Post by Rune EG »

Thanks for the tasting note.
I had this colheita port a year ago, and it is really something to look for.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Never heard of this Port brand before. I'll keep an eye ope, I'm curious to know who is behind this!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Will W.

Post by Will W. »

Rune EG wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:22 am Thanks for the tasting note.
I had this colheita port a year ago, and it is really something to look for.
Indeed, Rune, I saw your tasting note recently and was pleased to learn (i) that Kranemann is getting busy with wider distribution, at least in Europe, and (ii) I am not the only one who found the 1999 to be quite delectable.
Will W.

Post by Will W. »

Frederick Blais wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:14 am Never heard of this Port brand before. I'll keep an eye ope, I'm curious to know who is behind this!
Fred - Kranemann is the same producer which used to bottle vintage ports, whilst under different ownership, using the Senhora do Convento label. The full name of the property is Quinta do Convento de Sao Pedro das Aguias; as the crow flies, the property is not all that far from that of your current employer, Quevedo. The Sao Pedro das Aguias name is, as you know, owned by Franken-Pommery Monopole, though the latter's grapes are sourced from elsewhere. Kranemann is a Canadian ophthalmologist (and wine connoisseur) who purchased the property and its assets three or four years ago, with an eye to developing same. I have been meaning for some time to write a piece on this producer for FTLOP and should get to it, finally, in a few weeks.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Will W. wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:32 am
Frederick Blais wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:14 am Never heard of this Port brand before. I'll keep an eye ope, I'm curious to know who is behind this!
Fred - Kranemann is the same producer which used to bottle vintage ports, whilst under different ownership, using the Senhora do Convento label. The full name of the property is Quinta do Convento de Sao Pedro das Aguias; as the crow flies, the property is not all that far from that of your current employer, Quevedo. The Sao Pedro das Aguias name is, as you know, owned by Franken-Pommery Monopole, though the latter's grapes are sourced from elsewhere. Kranemann is a Canadian ophthalmologist (and wine connoisseur) who purchased the property and its assets three or four years ago, with an eye to developing same. I have been meaning for some time to write a piece on this producer for FTLOP and should get to it, finally, in a few weeks.
Thanks Will, yes I know the property now :)
I've tried their 20 year old under the Quinta do Convento name a few years ago in the Canadian Market, but never their Colheita. Maybe one day I'll meet the canadian guy, I was told he was a rich guy from mining industry, but I know very well Suzette, their winemaker.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Will W.

Post by Will W. »

Frederick Blais wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:04 am
Will W. wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:32 am
Thanks Will, yes I know the property now :)
I've tried their 20 year old under the Quinta do Convento name a few years ago in the Canadian Market, but never their Colheita. Maybe one day I'll meet the canadian guy, I was told he was a rich guy from mining industry, but I know very well Suzette, their winemaker.
A Canadian mining firm owned the property prior to the current owner, another Canadian; that is, the Dr Kranemann. Anyhow, more on all that in due course.