Andy Velebil in facebook ad

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bert VD

Andy Velebil in facebook ad

Post by Bert VD »

Hey Andy, you're famous now :D

i just saw your Fonseca ad on facebook. well done [cheers.gif]
Eric Ifune

Re: Andy Velebil in facebook ad

Post by Eric Ifune »

Was that an ad?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks guys.

It’s not an ad. They’re doing videos of people talking about their favorite Fonseca VP. Axel Probst Has also done one.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

a brand that posts video's about their product sound like an ad to me. not that i think that's negative or something. i prefer this format over scripted marketing stuff :-)
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I can't find it... anyone have a link?
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:I can't find it... anyone have a link?
Check your FB messenger
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1948 has been my favorite Fonseca vintage so far.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:14 am 1948 has been my favorite Fonseca vintage so far.
I really wanted to be amazed by the 1948 (and the 1948 Taylor), but neither of them has ever made me say "wow!"

Some day I hope to get to try the 1945 and/or the 1927, but I fear the chance of that happening diminishes every year.

'63, '66, '70, '77, and '85 are all pretty amazing. I think I rate the '66 and '70 a little higher than the other 3, and the choice between them for me likely comes down to "which one is easier to reach." :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Glenn E. wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:54 am
Moses Botbol wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:14 am 1948 has been my favorite Fonseca vintage so far.
I really wanted to be amazed by the 1948 (and the 1948 Taylor), but neither of them has ever made me say "wow!"

Some day I hope to get to try the 1945 and/or the 1927, but I fear the chance of that happening diminishes every year.

'63, '66, '70, '77, and '85 are all pretty amazing. I think I rate the '66 and '70 a little higher than the other 3, and the choice between them for me likely comes down to "which one is easier to reach." :lol:
I've tried all of those last 5 that you listed except for the '63. I have 3 bottles of the '63 but I'm saving them for a special occasion. Of the remaining 4, the '66 in my opinion is far and away the best Fonseca that I've had.

I'm surprised that you didn't mention the '94. Too young for you or just not on the same plateau? For me, the '94 is better than the '70, '77 and '85, but not better than the '66...yet.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:31 pm
Glenn E. wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:54 am

I've tried all of those last 5 that you listed except for the '63. I have 3 bottles of the '63 but I'm saving them for a special occasion. Of the remaining 4, the '66 in my opinion is far and away the best Fonseca that I've had.

I'm surprised that you didn't mention the '94. Too young for you or just not on the same plateau? For me, the '94 is better than the '70, '77 and '85, but not better than the '66...yet.
You guessed it - too young right now. I think it's difficult to predict exactly how a Port will evolve as it matures, so as good as the '94 is I'm not comfortable saying that it will evolve into something as good as the '66 or '70.

Honestly, the '85 is almost still too young. It seems to be right on the cusp of maturity at the moment - some bottles are lovely and seem "youthfully mature" while others are still big bruisers. But given what I've seen between the two types of bottles, if that's the direction it's headed then it's going to be a fantastic Port as it continues to mature.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

The '85 can be young. The '94 is as well, but they're both drinking beautifully right now. There's no doubt that both still have room to improve, that's why I have lots of both. The '85 can still be found relatively cheap, but the '94 has really jumped in price over the last 4 years.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

The last few '85 Fonseca's I had in the last year were in a weird place. Was a better tasting port 5+ years ago, but I expect that to turn around. Perhaps it's hitting a closed phase? Had a '60 Fonseca within the year that was quite respectable.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Glenn E. wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:02 pm I can't find it... anyone have a link?
I'd love to see it, too!