2000 Quinta da Prelada LBV

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

2000 Quinta da Prelada LBV

Post by David Spriggs »

Purchased at Vinologia in Port on my second Port Harvest Tour in 2006. Bottled in 2004. Medium+ ruby color. Beautiful inviting nose of cocoa, raspberries, a touch of tangerine, and old wood. A medium+ weight on the palate. Very suave with great texture. Very persistent. Fills the entire palate. Black and red fruits, but plum is the overall impression. Impressive and very very fine. Very long finish. This isn't a Port that assaults you with power but one that lures you in with it beauty and incredible balance. Unfortunately, each day it lost concentration until on day three it has the weight of a strong Pinot Noir. I gather that it is the extended time in barrel is why it is fading. But, I still love it! 93 points.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2000 Quinta da Prelada LBV

Post by Andy Velebil »

I remember that LBV. Drank my bottles a long time ago. Glad it is still doing so well and wish I kept some.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Will W.

Post by Will W. »

Is Q. da Prelada situated in the Douro valley or is it a property within, evidently, the Porto city limits (which is what I found online)? If it is in Porto, where are the grapes coming from? David's note was the first that I had heard of this producer.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Here is what I know:

Quinta da Prelada is a producer of Douro and Port wines, based in Vila Seca de Poiares, Peso da Régua. Created in the early 17th century and owned by the Magalhães e Silva wine producer in the Douro Region for 5 generations. It has a total area of 60ha. The property's rugged size and orography result in vineyards with multiple exposures and levels (from 250 to 510 meters), which promotes the production of excellent Vintage, Douro and Olive Oil Ports.

So not a lot of information. I suppose when they say Vila Seca de Poiares it means that it's in between Vila Seca and Poiares. This is North East of Régua.

https://douro4u.com/vinhos/quinta-da-prelada#