Forrester 1896 VP

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bradley Bogdan

Forrester 1896 VP

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Recently saw a loose acquaintance post a picture of a bottling and shipper I’ve never seen before, and doesn’t seem to be reflected in either the database here, nor in Julian Wiseman’s “Port Vintages”. I’d guess it’s a brand associated with Baron JJ Forrester, but that’s just a guess. Anyone with anything else they could provide to help my curiosity? Thanks!
IMG_3474.jpg
IMG_3474.jpg (938.67 KiB) Viewed 2951 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Forrester 1896 VP

Post by Andy Velebil »

The original Forrester joined Offley in the early 1800's (forget exact year) and the name changed to Offley Forrester. In the early 1960's Offley Forrester was bought by Sandeman...then eventually Sogrape.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:The original Forrester joined Offley in the early 1800's (forget exact year) and the name changed to Offley Forrester. In the early 1960's Offley Forrester was bought by Sandeman...then eventually Sogrape.
Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Will W.

Post by Will W. »

Glenn E., Andy V. and indeed others might wish to opine as to whether this is likely to be a colheita or a VP. For what it is worth, I would suspect the former, notwithstanding the appearance of "vintage" on the label.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Will W. wrote:Glenn E., Andy V. and indeed others might wish to opine as to whether this is likely to be a colheita or a VP. For what it is worth, I would suspect the former, notwithstanding the appearance of "vintage" on the label.
I’m inclined to agree. But one never knows.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com