Beware of fake Bourbon/Whisky

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Beware of fake Bourbon/Whisky

Post by Andy Velebil »

For those of you who buy Bourbon and Whisky, beware. Seems Aker (the folks in the middle of the Rudy K. affair) not only have an issue with wine fakes. The video (see link) of the store manager's response is priceless. How people still buy from this place is beyond me. [shrug.gif]

https://www.insideedition.com/is-the-hi ... 32OhHbN078
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: Beware of fake Bourbon/Whisky

Post by Eric Ifune »

I know the high end Scotch market has also had a problem.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

A friend was sold fake whiskey at a B&M local to me about 6 months ago. Store took it back the unopened bottles no problem and just pawned it off to someone else. Whiskey is so much easier to fake. Why bother with wine?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:41 am A friend was sold fake whiskey at a B&M local to me about 6 months ago. Store took it back the unopened bottles no problem and just pawned it off to someone else. Whiskey is so much easier to fake. Why bother with wine?
Yikes. Do you recall what it was they faked? And how'd your friend figure out it was fake?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:45 am
Moses Botbol wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:41 am A friend was sold fake whiskey at a B&M local to me about 6 months ago. Store took it back the unopened bottles no problem and just pawned it off to someone else. Whiskey is so much easier to fake. Why bother with wine?
Yikes. Do you recall what it was they faked? And how'd your friend figure out it was fake?
It was a 10 year Pappy's and he said it tasted like the shittiest Bourbon he ever tasted. Like a comedy skit where he spits it out on first sip. Step up from rot gut, but not much more. The price was too good to be true, so he bought about 10 bottles as he thought I found a jack pot. He planned on reselling them for like double. The liquor store knew they were fake.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:54 am
Andy Velebil wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:45 am
It was a 10 year Pappy's and he said it tasted like the shittiest Bourbon he ever tasted. Like a comedy skit where he spits it out on first sip. Step up from rot gut, but not much more. The price was too good to be true, so he bought about 10 bottles as he thought I found a jack pot. He planned on reselling them for like double. The liquor store knew they were fake.
:shock: :shock: