Post-war plantings/bottlings of Terrantez

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Nigel Bruce

Post-war plantings/bottlings of Terrantez

Post by Nigel Bruce »

I have just been seduced by some halves of 1977 Blandy's Terrantez - my rating, an intoxicated 94 - and am trying to find. out more about recent plantings and existing plantings since WW2. Any information welcome.
Nigel Bruce
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Post-war plantings/bottlings of Terrantez

Post by Glenn E. »

D'Oliveiras has released Terrantez bottlings in 1971, 1977, 1978, and 1988. I hadn't seen the 1978 before just now, so that one may be recent.

I've had both the 1971 and the 1988, and I prefer the 1971 of those 2. It's about a 93-94 point wine for me. The 1988 isn't as good, at least to me, and is probably 92 points.

But to be fair, Terrantez is usually a little too dry for me. So if you enjoy that somewhat drier style you might rate both bottles higher than I have.
Glenn Elliott
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Here are the Terrantez bottlings I've had:

D'Oliveiras 1971 - A big wine, one of my favorites
D'Oliveiras 1977 - Thin and delicate
D'Oliveiras 1978 (launched in 2018) - Thin and delicate

Blandy's 1976 (bottled 1997) - My favorite of the two - Complexity and richness beyond it's years in the barrel, still fruity and lively.
Blandy's 1977 (bottled 2015) - Heavy, rich, dark, and brooding. Woody bitter finish. I do enjoy this wine, but prefer the liveliness of the 1976.

H&H 1954 - Quite excellent. Very well balanced, rich with toffee and chocolate notes. Burnt salted caramel on the finish.
Last edited by Mike K. on Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

As for post-war I'm not sure which war you're referring to.
Either WWii or the peaceful "war"...the '74 revolution...but I guess what is meant is post '45:

H&H T '54 was on the sweeter side for T when we tasted it 4 years ago.
Very good ++ (and I try to be objective not be inflationary with my ratings)
One of the best "young" Ts.

As for Blandys T '77 vs. Blandys '76 my understanding is that '76 is clearly preferable to '77.

Cheers
Andy
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Andreas Platt wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:27 am H&H T '54 was on the sweeter side for T when we tasted it 4 years ago.
Very good ++ (and I try to be objective not be inflationary with my ratings)
One of the best "young" Ts.
Good call on the H&H T '54, I forgot about that one. I agree it is excellent. Wish it wasn't so pricey.
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Yep, was EUR 325 back 2017 , now it is EUR 470,- (ex cellars)
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Here are the ones I am aware of:

MWC: 1954 (under Leacock, Blandy's & MWC labels), 1960 (Blandy's), 1969 (Miles, Blandy's), 1974 (Cossart Gordon), 1975 (Blandy's, Cossart Gordon), 1976 (Blandy's), 1977 (Blandy's, Cossart Gordon), 1980 (Blandy's)
D'Oliveiras: 1971, 1977, 1978, 1988 (bottled both as Colheita & vintage)
HH: 1954, 1976
Justino's: 1978
Barbeito: 1950 (at least two different wines: from Faja dos Parders and a small private bottling of Afonso family wine), 1955
ABSL: 1979, 1980, 1981
IVM: 1954

I remember opening three 1977 Terrantezes (Blandy, CG & D'Oliveiras) together, enjoying all of them but concluding that Blandy's is my least favorite of the bunch.
Last edited by Michael R on Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

The Barbeito 1950 Faja dos Padres is the best I've had. Very, very rare unfortunately.
I know that at Faja dos Padres, they were down to only a few vines of Terrantez in the early 2000's. They've since planted 300 more as of a couple of years ago. Blandys also planted some at Quinta de Santa Luzia. More is being grown as prices increase for this finicky variety.
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Didn't know that the '50 Barbeito Faja is so rare...39 bottles in CellarTracker, 1 of those in my cellar. Was this only & exclusively sold by RWC in 2005-2007?
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Yes, only by the RWC. I have only a single bottle obtained on the aftermarket. (I was overseas during the release.)
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Ifune wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:49 pm Yes, only by the RWC. I have only a single bottle obtained on the aftermarket. (I was overseas during the release.)
I, too, have a single bottle. Mannie helped me acquire it, and at the time it was 1 of only 3 bottles available that he knew of.

Well... plus a small dribble - maybe 1 glass left - in the bottom of the bottle we had at the 2016 Madeirathon in Seattle.
Glenn Elliott
Nigel Bruce

Post by Nigel Bruce »

Wow! What a Madeira discussion Board Roy has got going here...
Thanks for all the responses.
If I can work out how to attach, I can share notes from a 2001 Madeira event I held - before prices went crazy...
Nigel Bruce

Post by Nigel Bruce »

Every type of file extension I have tried is being rejected. What file format should I try?
Le Gamin de Paris

Post by Le Gamin de Paris »

I’ve tasted H&H1954, D’Oliveiras 1971, Blandy 1976 and 1977, Cossart 1977, D’Oliveiras 1977 (2009 & 2018 bottling), D’Oliveiras 1988 (2019)

All very tasty. Though, if I had to pick a favourite it would be the 2018 bottling of D’Oliveiras 1977. The extra 9 years in cask made a big difference from previous bottling.
Andy M
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Every type of file extension I have tried is being rejected. What file format should I try?
Nigel, you may have to copy and paste directly onto your post. I'm looking forward to your notes.
Nigel Bruce

Post by Nigel Bruce »

OK, here goes: my notes from an event I held in Hong Kong in 2001. At the end I append advice & comments I got from helpful fans of madeira on Robin Garr's wine page: some excellent ninput on thr Terrantez grape, which was not well known to our crowd at that time (& still isn't if truth be told).
Madeira Wine Dinner at Harlan’s Steakhouse, AMC, Hong Kong
Organisers: Nigel Bruce and John Ng

Report on the tasting (& dinner) –
We decided on a menu degustation, knowing we’d have some less than ideal pairings of wine and food - but we felt serving 12 madeiras either before or after a meal would equally have been too much of a good thing. So the die were cast.

Aperitif: A. D'Oliveira Verdelho 1966 (very rich, like molasses)
We began with this verdelho, which was mouth-puckeringly….good! This was an ominous start, as people went back for refills, before the evening had started…

Roast Sea Scallops with Eggplant, Semi-dried Tomatoes and Black Olive Pesto
B. D'Oliveira Sercial 1862 (Brilliant!)
C. Rutherford Miles Sercial 1875
D. D'Oliveira Sercial 1937
The 1862 was intense, bitingly so, luscious, with burnt notes, caramel, unctuous, earthy, with a slightly grainy texture, and great length. It had that sweet and salt combination reported on elsewhere, and some conversation developed around reports that on the sea journeys it was commonplace for pilfering to go on, with wine being replaced by water – in this case, salt water! Even so, some participants’ WOTN.
The 1875 was a lighter wine, with huge ‘legs’ & a clean nose. Notes of almond, hazelnuts, walnuts – people were clearly going nuts over this wine! - dried prunes.
Ox Tail Ravioli with Braised Cêpe Mushrooms and Herbs
E. Blandy Terrantez 1870 (muddy, disappointing)
F. D’Oliveira Terrantez 1977 [I will now look out for the 2018 bottling!]
Sautéed Goose liver on a Potato cake with Caramelized Onions & Madeira Sauce
G. Quinta do Serrado Bual 1827 (Superb!)
H. Leacock Boal 1856 (disappointing)
The 1827 was mahogany brown, with a clean nose wth intense aromas of Chinese rise wine, nuts marmalade, candied orange peel. On the palate off dry, with a huge, explosive racy acidity – very long and very intense, yet a silky texture. Broadbent rates this a ‘fabulous’ wine, that Christies bottled in 1988, sourced from Henriques. My clear WOTN.
Oven-roasted Pigeon Breast with Cabbage and Truffles
I. Quinta de Pancas Touriga Nacional Special Selection 1997
Stilton Cheese with Berries and Nut Bread
J. Blandy Bual 1869 (good, but unexciting))
K. D'Oliveira Boal 1968 (ouch!)
Hazelnut Parfait with Raspberry Coulis
L. Blandy Malmsey 1880 (luscious and intense)
M. Madeira Reserva 1880 (not meant to have been aged!)
The 1880 Malmsey was deep mahogany with a yellow rim; clean & intense nose, of hazelnuts, raisins. Explosive racy acidity but silky texture. David Boyle’s WOTN.

Cost of tasting + dinner: HK1,600 per head
Madeiras Cost Supplier
1. Quinta do Serrado Bual 1827 HK$2,400 Nigel Bruce
2. Leacock Boal 1856 $2,000 John Ng
3. D'Oliveira Sercial 1862 $2,000 Nigel Bruce
4. Blandy Bual 1869 $2,000 John Ng
5. Blandy Terrantez 1870 $2,000 John Ng
6. Miles Sercial 1875 $2,000 John Ng
7. Blandy Malmsey 1880 $2,000 John Ng
8. Madeira Reserva 1880 $2,000 John Ng
9. D'Oliveira Sercial 1937 $800* Nigel Bruce
10. D'Oliveira Verdelho 1966 $350* Nigel Bruce
11. D'Oliveira Boal 1968 x 350 x 3* $1050* Nigel Bruce
12. D’Oliveira Terrantez 1977 $300* Nigel Bruce
Plus for dinner wines (3 botts Touriga) $ 800
Total cost of wines: $18,950
* 1 bottle for cuisine (madeira sauce)

Total expenditure $19,750
Cost of wine per (18) participant = $1,097
Cost of dinner @ $520 per head x 20 p= $10,400 (see receipt)
Total costs: HK$30,350

Prior feedback from Robin Garr wine board participants…

Some internet advice (re. Terrantez & the food matches)

“Holy Gosh! I'd love to attend your tasting! You've amassed a VERY respectable bunch of madeiras. I wonder whether anyone will be able to stand that - after all, vintage Madeira is a very flavourful wine, and your serving over a dozen!

That being said, Terrantez is quite unlike any other madeira grape, usually made medium-dry but 'darker', fuller in flavour than the delicate verdelho. To it is much like a slightly drier, less mellow Boal. In a tasting like yours I would serve the Terrantez between Verdelho and Boal, or even after Boal and before the Malvasias.

Also, I am not sure serving any wines younger than 50 years old together with quite old ones is a good idea. Madeira from the 1960s and 1970s is nowhere like ready to drink. The 1977 is one of the latest releases and I think it will be totally eclipsed by the older, more evolved wines. The Verdelho 1966 and Boal 1968 won’t shine either. You have 7 much older wines and IMHO that would make an excellent tasting, no need to add three more really. I would rather reserve those three younger ones for a separate tasting to compare them among the same class. I just thing drinking them alongside the 1827 and 1875 is unfair to those wines.

As to the match, I am not sure really about the perfect match for Terrantez. I think the gooseliver dish or even the roasted pigeon might work better than scallops here, I for one would rather serve the Verdelho with scallops and move Terrantez more towards the end. But others might come with better suggestions still. I also second Alan's suggestions to switch the final Boal with Malvasias, although it could work without switching the dishes themselves, i.e. pairing the Stilton with Boal and the parfait with Malvasia (the latter sounds particularly convincing IMO).

As to the recent revival of Terrantez, this is just part of a huge move to restore the image of vintage Madeira, esp. by promoting the noble varieties, which are not four as is usually understood but also include Moscatel, Terrantez, Bastardo and Listrao. Especially the latter is very, very rare still but is now produced in some years by one house (forgot which one), incl. a non-vintage version (10 y.o.?).
I could add more info from a Portuguese book I have but that would be later as I don't have where I am now.
Tremendous tasting, I'm envious. Enjoy yourself and please post TNs - I am looking forward to reading them.
Best,
Nerval (deprived Madeira lover)

“In general, Terrantez is most similar to Verdelho in sweetness. If anything it has a slightly drier finish, although tends to be fuller on the palate i.e. tastes slightly sweeter and finishes drier. Terrantez was pretty much wiped out by oidium, followed by Phylloxera, but several 'returned' in the 50's - presumably new plantings, although I'm not sure where. Certainly, by the 70's it was being replanted in quantity.

I'd suggest you put the cheese course last - the wines with that are slightly sweeter and more persistent than your final wine. Better to leave the taste of an old Malmsey in everybody's mouth than a young Bual.
Alan Gardner
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Nice notes!
1862 is my favorite Madeira vintage. Great wines across the board. Legendary for the Terrantez.
The 1827 Quinta do Serrado Bual is a legendary wine. Fun trivia, Ricardo Freitas' (of Barbeito) mother painted the stencils by hand.
Nigel Bruce

Post by Nigel Bruce »

hi Eric,
Those 19th C bottles are just great memories for me now, but I'm really enjoying a drop of 1960s or 70s Sercial or Terrantez at the end of a meal. That for me is the perfect 'digestif' or accompaniment to a range of cheeses.
Nigel
Le Gamin de Paris

Post by Le Gamin de Paris »

1954 TerrantezX.jpg
1954 TerrantezX.jpg (490.91 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
Thought I’d share photos of four 1954 Terrantezs

The Lomelino 1954 T isn’t listed on any vintage charts I’ve seen.

Do folks think the 3 MWC brands are likely the same wine?
Andy M
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Hi Andy!

In general I would have said that, due to different "profiles" which MWC aims at, those wines may be different. I remember that FAlbuquerque explained that (at least nowadays) they blend Cossart towards a different profile than Blandys.

See here as an example:

https://www.cossartgordon.com/our-wines ... -1958.html

http://www.blandys.com/wp-content/uploa ... 1-2016.pdf

Alcohol: 20%/20% ABV (Cossart/Blandys)
pH: 3.57/3.41 (Cossart/Blandys)
Residual Sugar: 105.5/54 g/l (Cossart/Blandys)
Total Acidity: 9.20/~6.5 g/l (Cossart/Blandys)

So, speaking currently, the same Variety/Year combo will not be the identical blend.

BUT: as my experience goes with old(er) wines, it is more complicated.

If these barrels have been stored at the old producer's facility they not only may contain different grapes, but also completely different winemakers and blends (for example old stocks of 1920 Boal, which is ubiqitious and "available" from Abudarham, Cossart, Blandys, Leacock, Miles etc... - now all part of MWC).

As for your mentioned T1954 (which is not muito velho), my best guess is, that it IS the same wine. Why? Simply because back then the MWC was already formed as such, containing almost all Brands and therefore those wines had been manufactured together and without nowadays distinctions for different profiles.
AND: if you have a look at those bottles IVM# you see that they match..."IVM A 630xxx"high and "IVM A 631xxx"low", a clear indication that those wines have (at least) been engarrafado simultanously, and probably from the same batch/and cask, I suspect.

Cheers

Andy
Last edited by Andreas Platt on Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.