Travel to Portugal

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Ifune

Travel to Portugal

Post by Eric Ifune »

This seems to be the latest on travel to Portugal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo8pF1XBAWU
Mike K.

Re: Travel to Portugal

Post by Mike K. »

Madeira says they will accept proof of vaccination - but I've been wondering if you need a negative COVID test to get through Lisbon on the way to Madeira.

What interests me the most though, is what does a European country consider proof of negative test or vaccine? With no international digital standard, what is a Portuguese immigration official going to make of a printed out email from my local pharmacy? (i.e., something anyone could type up in Word in 5 minutes).
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I would think for a US traveler the CDC card should count. Yes, that could be forged pretty easily; but do we expect that to really be a big issue?

Personally, I had my vaccinator sign my yellow WHO approved "International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis," in addition to the CDC card. That was the international standard for years, and should still be valid.
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

I've got the standard CDC card. But my wife, who was vaccinated at a major city hospital, didn't get a CDC card, the hospital didn't hand them out :shock:

For her, we can apply to the state immunization board to get her official records.
So I'm picturing me standing there with a CDC card, and my wife with a state vaccination record. Weird.

But do I understand correctly that mainland Portugal wants a negative COVID test within the last 72 hours. I haven't read anything about being vaccinated helping your cause. Which basically mean a printed out email from Walgreens?

I'm wondering how the poor officials in each country are going to deal with hundreds of different state forms or pharmacy test result printouts. I'm hoping they just wave you through if you've got something remotely official looking.
Last edited by Mike K. on Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

My county was doing testing close by at our local fairgrounds. That shut down. I'm not sure where they are doing it now. My office has testing kits one can do if you want. But I'm not going to pursue any of those until right before any planned travel, since everything could be different in a month or two.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Mike K. wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:39 am I'm wondering how the officials in each country are going to deal with hundreds of different state forms or pharmacy test result printouts. I'm hoping they just wave you through if you've got something remotely official looking.
Yes, me too.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I'm guessing either the CDC card or the WHO card would be acceptable. They are reputable agencies. For a negative test, I heard of one person who's test didn't have the time stamp on it and was rejected.