Interest on Madeiras is rising, forum contribution is declining

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andreas Platt

Interest on Madeiras is rising, forum contribution is declining

Post by Andreas Platt »

I wonder, why that?

Not enough opportunities to taste, not enough wine on the market to generate interest, or has everything been said, already?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Interest on Madeiras is rising, forum contribution is declining

Post by Glenn E. »

I, at least, have been drinking more Port than Madeira during the pandemic. I've still managed to purchase a few of the recent Barbeito Malvasia bottlings, but other than that it's been Port for me.

Prices are still going up rapidly, too, which is pricing me out of the few Madeiras with which I have familiarity. And I'm finding a dearth of offerings from the early/mid 20th century... it almost seems as if nothing much was bottled between say 1920 and 1970. (I really only look for Malvasia, so that may be hiding other Madeiras from me that were released during those 50 years.) I know of a few, but not very many.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I think pricing has something to do with it.
Also, people are not meeting and sharing bottles due to the pandemic. I need an excuse to open a 19th C. bottle. (At least a small one.) Maybe I should just start drinking more alone. 8--)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Ifune wrote:I think pricing has something to do with it.
Also, people are not meeting and sharing bottles due to the pandemic. I need an excuse to open a 19th C. bottle. (At least a small one.) Maybe I should just start drinking more alone. 8--)
I’m a relatively short drive away, have a grill, aged meat and other bottles to share. Just saying. Image
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

We have drunk around 40 bottles of Madeira in the last year at home. [cheers.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:13 am
Eric Ifune wrote:I think pricing has something to do with it.
I’m a relatively short drive away, have a grill, aged meat and other bottles to share. Just saying. Image
Have vaxx, will travel! :lol:
Glenn Elliott